300 kilos of rotten food for sale

NormanH

But I believe Albert is so well integrated that he is practically French. It is even better when those without French ties take the plunge and volunteer for that kind of organisation, I believe there are a few on this forum who do.

As for the SPAR in Sète, it is incredible that they were able to get that far in rottenness before they got closed down. I am now more and more careful with what I buy in the grandes surfaces, especially meat or fish or anything perishable - I think that on occasion, I have come across produce that was close to the one in the article.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"] Funnily enough, I believe that the food safety department is a branch of the government Vetinerary Service.[/quote]In both Sweden and the UK food inspection is caarried out by Vets - especially in abattoirs etc. I imagine this is the standard practice  throughout Europe. Not sure if it includes fruit and veg tho.

Inspections in large supermarkets in the UK are carried out by Enviromental Health Officers( for food safety) or Trading Standards officers( for weight/packaging issues ect)-they have automatic right of entry with no warning of visits.