It's over the banana and me are finished!

idun

Since I was in a lot of pain a few weeks ago after eating bananas I have felt unwell every time I have had the odd banana and today I am feeling quite unwell.

I love my bananas, and will miss them terribly, but my stomach is saying no more so I'm going to have to avoid them.

What a year, earlier in the year, they were so good, I was eating four a day and no ill effects what so ever to this, I'm so sad[:'(]

LOL not recently, also, I am not really a drinker and like very few things with alcohol in them, so wasn't keen when I had them.

AND then there was the time when some baha'i  people we know invited us for dinner and made rhum flambeed banans sans alcohol (actually sans rhum) as they don't do alcohol. Strangely their money came from wine as their family were viticulteurs.

Ah don't, I love apricots too. A few years ago pineapple made me ill, now banana, please don't let apricots be next.

I have a lovely cake recipe made with 'semoule' and filled with cream and apricots, it is delicous.

Apricots won't make you ill as they are more indigenous (although maybe not to you now), at least they are  European. Maybe it's just tropical fruit which are upsetting you?

Well, that's a theory anyway, I just made it up.[:P]

Apricot tart is one of my favorites. Just the old fashioned recipe, nothing but shortcrust pasty, little sugar, apricots, and then just another sprinkle of sugar for the second half of the baking. Magic. No custard or other frills, which only detract from the beauty of the exploding apricot flavour.[blink]

I rarely eat those exotic fruits even though  I love passion fruit and mangosteens.

I quite like mango and lychees too but not the others. I thought that lychees were non-something or other and easy to digest.

As I haven't had any of any of these fruits for a while, I'll see how I am next time I have them. AND 5E you may well be right about that........ but I hope you are not, as I love potatoes AND chocolate, and neither are native to Europe![:-))]

I remember buying my Dad some lychees and he is the most unfussy person I know and he spit it out, said it was disgusting, I was shocked.

I did ask on here and googled too. Small bananas and often about four a day. The replies on here made me rethink and I reluctantly went down to 2 a day. And a few Sunday's ago I had a cramp that was so painful that I was at my pain limit of needing to go to A&E and all I had eaten was 2 bananas, pain not in my abdomen, but stomach.  PPP said I had been too greedy and so I was down to one a day. I didn't give them up even though I have been in some discomfort each tme I have eaten one since and today felt like that cramp was starting again so I have now decided to eat no more. [:)]

I suffered from IBS for many years when I was younger, and even now certain foods can trigger a mild attack, and don't even get me started on stress. Apricots are the prime culprit, but spicy food, which I adore, can sometimes be the catalyst.

I dont know why it should have come on suddenly but I do think its because you are eating them before they are fully ripe, they are much more digestible, and I actually prefer the taste when the skin has gone black and the insides brown and mushy. They are however messy to eat like that but I do believe that it is only at that stage that they are actually ripe and digestible.

You could try cooking one through on the barbecue which has the same ripening effect and see if your stomach copes any better with it, if it does you can gradually wean yourself back to unripened bananas.

Come on now, on the Food board!

I have been trying to eat a lot more healthily over the past year or so and the glorious banana has been a very important part of my diet. Instead of reaching for say a biscuit, or chocolates, then it has been fruit especially those lovely little bananas I have been buying. And now I can't and I am upset about it actually.

Neither of those things would surprise me. I have this tendancy to always be attracted to foods that are fattening and often not good for me either.

Still I won't blame those bananas for anything, until several weeks ago, they have given me much pleasure and that is priceless[:D]

Hi Idun,

I'm wondering if your banana allergy is because you ate too quickly.  They can be a bit indigestible and whether it's an old wife's tale or not, we were always told to eat them slowly.  Certainly I find they need a good bit of chewing or they do not settle well.

Also, it is just a possibility that if you follow it with food which is not compatible, or which is digested more quickly than the banana, this might give you the sort of pains you seem to be having.

I found that when I ate the wrong mixture of foods, I would get excruciating pains, which only lying down solved .... my homeopath recommended the Hay diet - which does not mix starch and protein in the same meal .... so if you ate something of a protein nature after your banana, that might start the problem ...

This should give yo the basics to follow ....

http://www.synergy-health.co.uk/articles/haydiet.html

(sorry can't do live links!)

I can email you more detailed info in a pdf if you want me to...

HTH

[quote user="Judith"]I found that when I ate the wrong mixture of foods, I would get excruciating pains, which only lying down solved .... my homeopath recommended the Hay diet - which does not mix starch and protein in the same meal .... so if you ate something of a protein nature after your banana, that might start the problem ...

[/quote]

Carbohydrates are broken down much faster than protein so eating the carbs first is more in tune with our digestion, I always wondered how come we eat pudding after the protein course?

[quote user="5-element"]

Prompted by this thread, I discovered a forum which seems to be called "30 bananas a day"...

http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topics/potassium-poisoning

[/quote]

Idun, I did tell you last time you can get a potassium/sodium imbalance from too many bananas [+o(]

For breakfast I slice half a banana, sprinkle it with rock salt, crush it with a fork then add my porridge and water before microwaving, then I add some diced fruit a dollop of fromage blanc and some chopped nuts, it hits the spot for me [:D]

I have being doing this with very little variation for a few months now and have not tired of it.

There are probably other ways that you can get your banana fix Idun, at the moment they are 89cts per kilo.