Local aperatif from Charente?

Daft Doctor

Last year we were at a neighbour's for aperos and I took up his offer of a few nips of fortified drink from what I thought was Charente. It was really good and I'd love to get a hold of some if I could. Problem is I can't remember what it was called. Does this ring any bells with anyone, especially those located in them there parts? Thanks in advice for any info.

[quote user="Daft Doctor"]Last year we were at a neighbour's for aperos and I took up his offer of a few nips of fortified drink from what I thought was Charente. It was really good and I'd love to get a hold of some if I could. Problem is I can't remember what it was called. Does this ring any bells with anyone, especially those located in them there parts? Thanks in advice for any info.[/quote]

Pineau de Charente?

Ah, doesn't taste in the least like sherry to me although it is quite sweet!

You can get it in white or red.  The best ones are made with cognac rather than eau de vie.

Serve well chilled.

I think if you are just looking for a commercial one, Reynac is very good.

But the best, and strongest, tend to be made by monsieur le voisin or a friend of his or his cousin or someone he knows.

Whilst the commercial ones are typically 18 or 19 % alcohol, the best homemade ones are around 28%.

I don't like it particularly but many of my French friends do so I always keep a couple of bottles handy.

Edit:  I stand to be corrected but I believe that it's normally called Pineau des Charentes; I suppose on the basis that there are two Charentes, depts 16 and 17.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Ah, doesn't taste in the least like sherry to me although it is quite sweet!

You can get it in white or red.  The best ones are made with cognac rather than eau de vie.

Serve well chilled.

I think if you are just looking for a commercial one, Reynac is very good.

Whilst the commercial ones are typically 18 or 19 % alcohol, the best homemade ones are around 28%.

I don't like it particularly but many of my French friends do so I always keep a couple of bottles handy.

Edit:  I stand to be corrected but I believe that it's normally called Pineau des Charentes; I suppose on the basis that there are two Charentes, depts 16 and 17.

Pineu des Charentes it is. Sweets is correct when she says "But the best, and strongest, tend to be made by monsieur le voisin or a friend of his or his cousin or someone he knows."

We have made it with our friends and ours is made with eau de vie. Serve it very cold (add an ice cube or two if you wish) and drink it as an apéro in small quantities.[;-)]

[/quote]

Perhaps you knowledgeable lot can confirm something for me or dismiss it as an Urban Myth.

I was told ages ago, can't remember where, that Pineu des Charentes was specifically developed as a cheap but strong drink to give to troops in WWI before they went 'over the top' to face the ruinous onslaght of machine gun fire.  Knowing that they were unlikely to survive, the only way they would go was if they were half cut.

I'm not for one moment saying anything against the bravery of those soldiers, just against the stupidity of the Officers in charge

[quote user="sweet 17"]DD, it's Pineau des Charentes.  Please excuse the pedantry, it came with the territory (previous jobs, convent schooling, etc)[:(][/quote]SW17, Nothing wrong with pedantry. We have to keep certain standards on this forum don't we?

[quote user="Cendrillon"]I haven't heard that tale Pierre ZFP.
In my experience Pineau des Charentes is a drink that is widely available and drunk in the Charentes region but elsewhere hardly seen or available at all.
[/quote]

Really? It's in all the supermarkets in Agen.

[quote user="Benjamin"]

It's just that I find all of these sort of apero drinks a bit on the sweet (no offence intended) and sickly side but I am a savoury person all the time.

[/quote]

Hm.....do you mean savoury as in "salty"?[8-)]