What is your favourite French wine and grape ??

Ron Bolus

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="dwmcn"]

Rabbie,

It was obviously the Irish part of my family that couldn't spell, not the Scots. Obviously you aren't an American. It starts with a capital A.

David

'David, I am NOT an american'

[/quote]David when I say I am a scot it seems clear that I am not an american. Why do you keep accusing me of being one? 

• 2 years later...
I am from the East of London though I often have a Côte-du-rhône with grilled meats or pastas. This is kind of versatile wine since it can be enjoyed with all kinds of food with its richness and peppery flavours, it is somehow a good standard wine.

I am also interested by wines made with Muscadelle grape but I don't know if it can be found out of France.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you talking about the grape variety?

If it is the case, it can be found in South Africa, Californias and Australia, but also in the Eastern Europe.

Côte du Rhône is a pretty impressive stuff, I admit but I would also recommend Sylvaner wine from Chasselas grape. Have you ever taste it?

Hmm - reviewing my previous comments in this thread I see not much has changed chez RH. We still like Merlot as a red although we can add Valpolicello to that, and we still go for Loire Valley whites where possible.

OH has taken a liking to Rose - preferably on the dry side - the lighter the colour the drier the wine apparently.

Since earlier comments on this thread I have visited Chateau Bernard in the South of France and gone to a wine tasting locally, where indeed some Wine Society wines were among the offerings.

We have also eaten at Nathan Outlaws RNO and the sommelier there is so passionate about wine...he tailors his holidays around finding new, short production suppliers and tells you about the owner, the vineyard the 'terroir' and similar and he makes it really interesting.....

The wine course guy said that there had been a trial where Blue Nun was mixed with lemonade and put in champagne glasses, champagne was also served, but many preferred the Blue Nun !!! He also said to check those award labels - sometimes they put a medal on for just existing 10, 20, 25 years.....

We really like wines from Camel Valley in Cornwall, every bit as good and sometimes better than champagne...

Thanks for the additional info Rob.

As far as Sylvaner is concerned, I think you mixed up the wine and the grape itself. Sylvaner is a variety of white wine grape used to produce AOC wines, sometimes it can be blended with Riesling . There are many types of Sylvaner wines following their origin : Alsatian wines using Sylvaner known as Sylvaner Vieilles Vignes; Italian and Swiss Sylvaners such as the Sylvaner R Kofererhof, Johannisberg ...whereas Chasselas is the most popular grape variety in Switzerland that produced typical fresh and fruity wine known as "Fendant".

• 5 months later...
I am not a big wine connaisseur but I am also kind of curious, I have already drunk wines made from six grape variety Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc what are the caracteristics of great French wine according to you?? French wine which should be considered as "the best" in the world...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I read an article which was quite interesting and I wanted to share it with you all.

It is about the ten most expensive wines in the world. I can't believe the price tag on them. One could sell as high as $12000 per bottle. Frankly, that is something I will never have the opportunity to taste.

I am really curious though. Honestly, sometimes I buy a $25 wine and the taste is just perfect for me so I am wondering those super expensive must taste heavenly like!! I guess like somebody said the taste of wines is very subjective. Anyway, according to the articles there are certain factors that need to be considered in order to classify great wines. Those factors are: weather, quality of grapes, aging techniques and, perceived value. Interestingly most those expensive wines are from France.

Do you always check the pricing before buying bottles? According to you, is it important or not???

Pricing, important?

Well yes. I will confess to buying the left overs after the Xmas, New Year extravaganza from the Hypermarkets at 50% off - sometimes a bit more.

I then consume over the next 12 months. The wines are still not cheap, but it is one way to drink above your budget.

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Jules31"]

Do you always check the pricing before buying bottles? According to you, is it important or not???[/quote]

So far, yes but there are times I couldn't help buying a very expensive wine just because the bottle is very hard to find. If I have enough money for it, it's ok for me.

There are people who get mad about wines that they will find ways to buy a $13,000 bottle just for cravings. I don't know if you understand what I mean... My last purchase was on the last October, I bought a Pinot Noir Premier Cru at Delices and Gourmandises, which costed about $2,300, fortunately it was for my wife's birthday, I had no regrets, she was very pleased.