Welsh Words.

Just Katie

It's from my Derbyshire childhood, Katie. I thought because of the relationship with moither and mither that there might be a relationship in the counting. I take it from what you say that it's nothing like Welsh ?

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]

I find all this fascinating. I thought that 'mither' was a Derbyshire dialect word for worry.

[/quote]

Me too.  My mother used to say it.  Spelt "moither", but pronounced "my-ther" in our family.

To link this thread tenuously to France...  Did you know there is a Fete du Welsh in Boulogne?  [:D]

Angela

And Lincolnshire. I suspect it's an Old English word.

Wiktionary gives an etymology either from Welsh (which seems implausible to me) or from OE 'Moðor' (the ð being thorn, which has the value 'th') which seems more likely as the word is found well away from the Welsh borders.

The Welsh form is 'moither' - so there were probably two semi-homophonic cognates. Which might argue for an earlier shared root-word.

Yes Dick, it has the same definition, to worry or to bother or to moither.

What about when you catch a bit of your jumper and a loop of wool sticks out from the knit.  In Wales we naturally call it a 'scag' or the Welsh spelling would be 'sgag'

I was born and bred in the Rhondda valley and I bet nobody on this forum has hear of a mutton tump.  Well there is one in Trehafod.  Again why is it that we never referred to Workingmens clubs by their true name such as Ynyshire Workingmens Club but always known as the Baden Powell.  How about the Fighting Blood or the Eight Hours or the Dog and Muffler.

Now to Trealaw Workingmens Club opposite the cemetry what is it commonly referred to as. First non-Welsh past the winning post gets a beer when we meet.