Funny looking motorbike

Wendy

Yesterday I saw an elderly man in the village riding along on what looked to be one of those motor scooters, but he was also pedalling! It had a motor. What was this machine called?. Never seen one before so Im curious...[8-)]

Sounds like a Velo-bicycle little engine either on the handle bars or on the rack behind the saddle, usually driving the wheel via a rubber friction wheel. My first "bike" was a NSU Quickly (I believe that is called a oxymoron, a bit like "goverment intelligence"). Three gears on a twist grip  by the clutch lever. It hand pedals, but like most mopeds, you couldn't use these when the engine had started (nor really when it it hadn't!)

Wen wrote " Yesterday I saw an elderly man in the village riding along on what looked to be one of those motor scooters , but he was also pedalling " ----------may I ask ,  did he have a large double glazed window tied to his handlebars ?-------- He did , well in that case you should have said  " hello " 'cos that would have been Bugbear !!           [:-))]

Probably a Mobylette - or a Velosolex if the engine was above the front wheel. If you are old enough to remember the Raleigh Wisp it was a rebadged Mobylette. They are great bikes and use little fuel - they are very reliable as they have no gearbox and variable oiless transmission. I got 50,000 miles out of one in my youth.

To start the engine you pedal either on the stand or as you move and on the move to increase accelaration. If the engine runs out of fuel you can disconnect the engine and use pedal power alone - not quick as only one lowish gear.

I got some pics of some old Mobylettes in Perigueux today.

That's definitely not a Solex, Pierre! Mind you, I wouldn't mind seeing the owner, bet he's a genuine character....it's not you is it?

Solexes (?sp) are now being produced again although in very small numbers, saw a lovely daffodil yellow number in Vitre not so long ago.

Still think I'll buy a scooter tho!

Aly

• 10 months later...