Fear

Lehaut

Have just come back from doing the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland (nearly 3000kms in total) then across to Scotland to see mother in law, then back down to Portmouth via the Lake District. Had not been there before so looked up a few routes on the internet before hand. Came across an interesting one called the "Hardknott pass". After reading the description of a challenging route "not for the faint hearted", well, thought I, having done the Route Napoleon, many routes in the Alps and Corsica, perhaps over egging it for a British route!

Having now done it, two up on a fully loaded Pan European ST1300, I can honestely say its the most frightened I have ever been on a motorbike!!!

I've been on Hardknott pass a few times, but only in a car - that was bad enough.

But what about this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcI-xBoJxQQ

Second son lives on top of that mountain - I've been there twice. But in a taxi . I had my eyes closed part of the way, it's so long, and sometimes there are landslides blocking the road.

Surely the Hardknott Pass would have been 'interesting' in heavy heavy rain, as can fall in the Lake District........ and Ireland come to think.

Friends who have done most of Europe on their bike, said that they had never been so soggy as they were in Ireland and have not gone back.

Hardknott is scary ????

Striding edge is scary in the rain and fog when walking.

The pass to Applecross in Scotland (can't remember the name) is tad scary in the snow by car.

Some of the routes across the Ecrins in France are scary. When we drove a couple of years ago across the mountains we saw a sign that none of us knew. Two minutes later (in the dark !!!!) the road did not exist anymore. It was just rocks and lots of water. We were in a 4x4 so could just get by. Any car with lower suspension would have had to turn back. That meant driving back two hours to where you started from.

Hardknott Pass on a motorbike, no, but we used to go up regularly in our very basic early Mini.

The Bealach na Ba (Pass of the Cattle) to/from Applecross I've driven about a 20 times, but in a modern car - a really great drive, always rewarded by a good meal at the Applecross Inn, as well as by the amazing views.

Edit: my hysband has reminded me of a trip up the Hardknott Pass in the early 60s in an old Austin A30; the passenger had to get out and walk, as the van was really struggling to make it. Another time, in snow, the passenger sat on the bonnet to give the tyres more purchase to make it up the hill.