French Sunsets

TempsPerdu

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="cooperlola"]No, photography tips, I meant we've moved this discussion eslewhere as we take your point, that's all.  Sorry if I put it poorly - as you see, I can't spel either.[/quote]

'We' take the point, is that the Royal we, have 'We' taken over this section now then?

OK, Steve.

You carry on.

The rest of the world doesn't see it that way...

That is not the nature of photography - we'll discuss the philosophy of the selective image some time.

'Dago' - what exactly is your problem? Wasn't saying that you take a good photograph enough? Or is this some extended 'joke'? People are deleting posts because of your bizarre reactions. Is this because when we were joking about last night I corrected one (only one) of your mis-spellings? Or what? Can you explain?

No it doesn't, Jon. What the world sees is the object behind the wires - always in memory, that is what you saw. All that a bit of Photoshopping does is to return the image to what memory approves of.

Other manipulation, removal of scratches, dust, altering colour balance, changing contrast, cropping the image - do they upset you? Even Cartier-Bresson would alter contrast and dodge and burn to improve his image, even though he never cropped but composed in the camera. Even (especially) with his work you have the question of the selective viewpoint and the photographer's agenda in what he/she chooses to reveal and what to hide, what makes the point he/she wishes to make.

What you achieve is, after all, an image. It isn't real, and shouldn't pretend to be.

Surely Dick, the "art" of the photographer is to adjust his position to take the shot that he wants to be seen, not to to artificially change the results after the event. I realise that there has rarely if ever been a time when "the photograph doesn't lie" but we seem to be downgrading the photographers "eye" to a technical manipulation of pixels - just because we can!

Removal of scratches, dust motes etc is not really in the same league as removal of finite objects in the scene.

Perhaps my perception is coloured by being an Engineer who deals in reality but thats my view, and sarcasm is not a real answer.

I think you may be right about the engineer's mindset, Steve. I know a Pure Mathematician who feels the same way, but it really doesn't bother me, mostly because I know (deep inside, that kind of knowledge) that the image isn't real, it is just a bridge between something I have seen and my memory or other people's perception. The area which is grey is in the manipulation, rather than repair, of the image. In the darkroom I could do many of the same things (even take out the wires, in theory) but it was much harder and took many hours (and a lot of cash).

My 'problem' Dick is that yourself and Cooperlola took it upon yourselves to pull me up over my spelling, I remember it well from school when some of the brighter kids would taunt the slower ones, nowadays it is recognised as bullying. I do not remember reading anywhere that you said that I take a good photograph? I will continue to post my pictures because they bring me happiness and if I don't get spelling right in any of my posts then fine..I try to do my best, for some people doing your best is never enough.

Enjoy the day

best regards

Dave

It was a JOKE when we were MESSING ABOUT.

Everyone gave themselves silly moderator titles and I was Punctuation Monitor for a while.

I hadn't realised you were quite so fragile. So you have my sincerest apologies, but I think you are being a bit precious about it, especially as you started taking it out on Coops, who was blameless.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I think you may be right about the engineer's mindset, Steve. I know a Pure Mathematician who feels the same way, but it really doesn't bother me, mostly because I know (deep inside, that kind of knowledge) that the image isn't real, it is just a bridge between something I have seen and my memory or other people's perception. The area which is grey is in the manipulation, rather than repair, of the image. In the darkroom I could do many of the same things (even take out the wires, in theory) but it was much harder and took many hours (and a lot of cash).

[/quote]

I certainly agree that the manipulation ( rather than repair ) is, as you say, the grey area. Thats the area I have an issue with. I have also (many many years ago spent lots of hours in a  dark room - B & W stuff, I couldn't afford a colour unit). I know the frustration of seeing prints form with stuff on them that you dont really want to see. I think that digital is great but...... it really puts more onus on the photographer to ensure that he takes the 'right' shot ( he/she can take hundreds) rather than rely on tweaking and fixing to overcome the initial effort. After all, taking 20, 30 or even 50 digital shots and then picking the 'right' one is no more costly than taking one or two. You can bin the ones you dont want, it was a bit different when you had to develop roll after roll of 35 mm.

Dago,

Chill. Dick is a teacher, its a teacher thing!!!. If you worry too much about your spelling you will be paranoid. My spelling is not all it could be - so what? Who cares at the end of the day. Keep taking photos and forget the apostrophes or whatever.

I think it will always come down to an opinion/point of view. I got involved (by watching) photographic club arguments when digital first arrived (in the sense of scanning negatives and using Photoshop) and there was the same argument then, and it hasn't gone away. At base it depends on whether or not you think that the image is a record or a picture, or (as you and I would probably agree) sometimes one and sometimes the other. I would never agree to changing an 'historic' photograph other than to restore it, and I wouldn't be happy about that, but I am quite happy to mess about with new images - as in the watercolours I have posted, and also Dago's manipulated images.

Sorry, John, we'll take it elsewhere now - but it's a valid and interesting argument.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Sorry, John, we'll take it elsewhere now - but it's a valid and interesting argument.
[/quote]

I can only agree that it is interesting and if/when it starts as another thread I will be there, but this is really about French Sunsets...[:)]

I too used to do my own developing/printing, for a long time...

• 2 weeks later...