A Place to Call Home...

The leaves on the top photo look orchid, but we can't find the flower in any of our books. Is it the flower of those leaves or one that is growing from another plant between the leaves?

The bottom one, we don't think it's an orchid, but we may well be wrong? Perhapse ChrisPP will know if he sees it?

If you could get a photo of the face of the flower next time it appears it would be easier. You know, stand on yer 'ead in the wet grass, but don't shake the camera. Remember, there are standards to keep here  [6]??

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here you go john............ as requested. this was taken up at the pic de nor in april last year

[IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/pads_01/IMG_1274.jpg[/IMG] the flower is from those leaves, there are a lot of them all around the pic. the other flowers were around the lake taken at the same time

Val it looks lovely , isn,t it wonderful to have a cellar, I love my cellar in France, I have a wonderful neighbour who made me a cheese cage, I have a fridge with all the bells and whistles, but it still keeps best in the cellar.It looks as though you have a nice tree for shade which is a God send on the hot summer days,I have a big Oak tree and it is always cool even on the hottest of days.That is the great thing about an old garden you inherit the wonderful trees.

Thanks verviale for your comments.

I agree about the cellar but ours is not being used yet, it needs a new floor as it is just very wet soil at the moment and will probably be the last thing to get renovated - can't wait to be able to put it to it's intended use though.

The tree is a hazlenut and was almost out of the ground with most of it's roots exposed when we bought the house so we spent almost a week of our precious 3 week working holiday in 2004 building a wall around it and raising the soil - have to say it was well worth it and it often seems to say 'thank you' for our effort. (I know that's a bit twee but I just love trees). Our neighbours told us it hadn't given any nuts for many years and we are getting better crops each year so it is obviously happier now.

We lost an apple tree, half a pear tree (which was completely split down the middle), plus several big limbs off our walnut last year when we had a mini tornado in July - I was more devastated about the garden losses than about the huge holes in our barn roof  - hubby didn't agree with me as he then had to spend many days repairing the roof.

I know what you mean < I love trees to and hate to have to hurt one. But a couple of years ago I had to move an apple tree, which was in a pretty shabby state, and I was advised by everyone just to chop it down, but instead I hired a man to come and dig it out carefully(thinging it would be a big job ) he arrived and had it up in seconds , as it had no roots hardly, the ground it was in was very wet and most of them had rotted away, he told me to throw it away as it was buggared, but as I had already dug a new hole for it i dcided to replant it and hope for the best, When the man had gone I went back and spoke to the tree and wished it well and now nearly three years later , its doing well and new buds are ready to burst at any moment. we have a field which is pasture at the moment , but one of my dreams is to plant my own woodland , just seems that money has to go else where at the moment , but we will get there one day.   

Hi Pads,  I'm not going to be much help with your flowers, the first one isn't an orchid, as far as I know native orchids are always multiflowered, but it does appear to be some type of bulb or corm.

The second one I know, but can't bring the name in French or Latin to mind, it's a parasitic plant that grows on tree roots near water, rivers, lakes etc.

I'll try and ask our botanist when I see him.

Chris

Sorry I have not replied earlier, but we have been out to have a curry tonight we have this lovel south Korrella indian near us and the food is devine and O.H. came home and mentioned a curry and I never say no.Getting back to cellars,mine is an earth floor and my neighbour has told me to keep it that way, I must say I would love to make it good, I wonder if anybody on the forum knows anything about cellar floors, although it really would be last on the list, I have so much to do and I have had the house 15 years, the list is endless, I really would like to know whats best to do with it.I keep some wine in it and it seems fine.Maybe we should keep the earth foor, I really do want to do the right thing.

cottage058.jpg

I am not sure if I have got this photo posted right, but on the subject of trees, they certainly make a garden,I have planted a plane tree in my garden in England just to remind me of France, since this photo about three years ago the trunk is really big, I prune it as the french do ,and keep it manageble,I really love Plane trees, they ask nothing and are so elegant.You see them so close to buildings in France,without damaging the foundations, they really are the most considerate of trees and France would not be France without them.

[quote user="WJT"]Very pretty Verviale, I love plane trees too. We have some here in France but I don't think they have ever been pruned.[/quote]

I think they are so much better if they are pruned back hard, I do mine as soon as they have shed their leaves, some people wait until the spring, but mine has always responded well to an autumn pruning, I take it right back to the wood and leave one new shoot on each branch.They really are worth planting for shade as they make a wonderful umbrella in the summer.They always remind me of Paris, I just love them,a very understated tree indeed.

Well done Ab, they are lovely Pads, now lets see if you can now tell people what they are called [:D].

Verviale, I saw what I assume to be municipal people pruning the plane trees hard in a car park outside of Sarlat yesterday. I am surprised they would be doing it this time of year. Ours are quite old and very tall, it would be a massive job to do but may think about it for the future [Www]. In any case they are one of my favourite trees, would love to have one near our terrace and keep it in the shape of a lollipop like yours and the eerie one of Jonzjob's [:)].

[quote user="WJT"]

Well done Ab, they are lovely Pads, now lets see if you can now tell people what they are called [:D].

Verviale, I saw what I assume to be municipal people pruning the plane trees hard in a car park outside of Sarlat yesterday. I am surprised they would be doing it this time of year. Ours are quite old and very tall, it would be a massive job to do but may think about it for the future [Www]. In any case they are one of my favourite trees, would love to have one near our terrace and keep it in the shape of a lollipop like yours and the eerie one of Jonzjob's [:)].

Yes they seem to do them any old time in France, I have seen them do them in the autumn spring and winter, so all these laws about the sap rising and the sap falling goes by the wayside.I think you can prune them back hard no matter how tall they are, I saw a tree surgeon pruning some close to where I work and they were really tall,he couldn,t reduce the height, but he made them form an umbrella just a tall one.I think thy are pretty easy going trees.

[/quote]

[quote user="Tresco"] This is the outside of my house, and the picture was taken last Spring, hence all the pots and stuff.. As you can see the outside is a bit of a shambles, and yes it needs painting, but I do love my house.

[IMG]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/twinm/PICT0015-1.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

Oh! Tresco!!... Seeing your lovely home I have a serious homesick pang  in my stomach and a lump in my throat [:(] .... Your home looks exactly liked my Gran's did... Her house was near Melle in Deux-SĆØvres.... She died some 30 years ago and the house had to be sold but the holidays we had there as kids are very memorable indeed...... She had one of these big stone trough which you filled with plants. Hers was filled with water and we would be using it as our 'jaccuzi' tub!.... There was an apple tree, a fig tree and a plum one, and the chicken would run free range around the place. The cockerel was a real *ugger! ... My brothers had countless plans to dispatch him to the kitchen!...

Memories......... 

[quote user="Missy"] Memories.........  [/quote]

It's good to remember these things. I'm glad seeing the picture of my house reminded you of those happy days.

Now you have set me off remembering my own dear Granny and her house full of 'treasures' in Derry, Northern Ireland.[:)]

I dont know the content of some of the photos on this thread but when I try to view them I get this:-

"We

apologize the site you are attempting to visit

has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent

with the religious, cultural, political and moral

values of the United Arab Emirates."

The mind boggles!!!!!!!!![:D]