Uk-based companies, from search to completion

Hi there,

My wife and I are looking to purchase a house in France.

Are there any individuals, agents or companies that can take us through the whole process, from finding a property to advising on mortagegs to dealing with the notaire / immobiliers (spl?)?

If so, can anybody point us towards a reputable one?

Thanks,

Kit

PS. I’m new to the forum and just wanted to say thanks for all the advice that’s on here already – really useful stuff!

Hello Kit,

I do this exactly this sort of thing. You can contact me if you wish either via the PM button.  However, it depends on where you are thinking of buying - do you have any ideas yet? France is such a huge country!

If you're thinking of buying anywhere in the triangle formed by Perigueux, Angouleme and Limoges, it would be relatively easy for me to help. Anywhere further afield and you would really be better looking for someone in the locality so that they can attend meetings with you. Many things can be done by phone/email/post but in the case of viewing and negotiating about houses or dealing with notaires, where last minute questions can crop up, you really need someone on the spot.

You are also likely to need some help when you first arrive, to sort out utility providers, find out where things are how they work etc. Again you would be better with someone familiar with your chosen area.  I know other people who do similar work in different areas of France so may be able to help you find someone.

I would suggest perhaps looking on the internet  - I'm sure you have already :-) - and thinking about suitable regions. Common things to consider are the landscape, the weather,  propertly prices and whether it's an area known to be popular with English speakers.

Good luck anyway and do get in touch if you need any further advice,
Heather

Edited by moderators to remove website address.

Sue, right, sorry, I only joined this forum today and that was my first post. Yes it was partly to advertise in saying that I might be able to help but I was trying to give more general advice too. If you look out for me on other forums you'll see that I rarely advertise and I THINK that's the first time I've ever quoted the site.

Heather

Mea Culpa - I know Heather from another place and thought she might be able to assist the o/p so suggested that she respond to the thread - I didn't know that she was unaware of this forum's existence (I mean, can you imagine such a thing?)  My fault that I didn't explain the forum rules to her a little better.[:$]

She is unequivically (sp?) NOT Kit Lewis.

I am very suspicious that this is one and the same person.

That aside I don't think there is any real need of going to the expense of employing such a person as most of the things they claim to do are done by notaires, translators, agents and alike. Part of the fun of finding your little bit of France is coming over and exploring for yourself.

I have removed the link from the first post (or will do after posting this) and if people want to get in touch they can do so via the normal, approved way of PM's.

Quillan, my apologies. Cooperlola did indeed alert me to the post and in my enthusiasm to reply I didn't read the rules. In future I'll just stick to answering the questions and put the site in my sig. Incidentally there is a need for this sort of service. Not so much for the looking for houses and mortgages, but to translate documents and as an independent person to interpret at the notaire etc and deal with all the questions when people first arrive. And, really, I'm absolutely not Kit :-)

Heather

Sue, right, sorry, I only joined this forum today and that was my first post. Yes it was partly to advertise in saying that I might be able to help but I was trying to give more general advice too. If you look out for me on other forums you'll see that I rarely advertise and I THINK that's the first time I've ever quoted the site.
Heather

Heather - a satisfied client may recommend you, however you may not offer your own services here. You can use your link (no additional/supporting text) as your signature and of course use the www button etc.

You can use the PM system too.

Hope that helps....

Hi all,

Just looking for some impartial assistance, I think you can appreciate the complexities of the Fence property market to a newby.

I'm not a fair weather property browser, a sneaky advertisement or Heather! I am, however, a young newly married man looking into French property. Any suggestions of people to talk to in the UK would be most useful.

Thanks, Kit.

Used to be a company called VEF but they went into liquidation a couple of years back. Since the market has been less boyant and with the amount of good info available on sites like this, there has been less need for these hand holding companies. Many people manage very well just employing a translator when needed.

The general vibe is to do it yourself. Which is great.

I'll get reading up on process / requirements as well as best locations.

We're looking at Britteny but could be persuaded to other regions, with a solid argument...

Thanks all.

Kit

(Thanks Heather for stimulating debate!)

If there is one piece of advice that stands head and shoulders avove anything else, it is try (rent) before you buy!

The costs of buying a house in France are much higher than the UK (16% av) and unlikely to be recovered if you look to sell within five years. Also older properties in the rural French property market predominately favoured by Brits, can take years rather than months to sell, especially in the current economic climate.

Until the £ strengthens against the Euro, bank lending gets back to normal and the economic situation in the UK improves, it is unlikely Brits will be returning to buy French property in any numbers. Whilst this may give an excellent buying opportunity, subsequently deciding you are in the wrong area of France, could prove an expensive mistake.

[quote user="Kit Lewis"]Hi there, My wife and I are looking to purchase a house in France. Are there any individuals, agents or companies that can take us through the whole process, from finding a property to advising on mortagegs to dealing with the notaire / immobiliers (spl?)? If so, can anybody point us towards a reputable one? Thanks, Kit PS. I’m new to the forum and just wanted to say thanks for all the advice that’s on here already – really useful stuff![/quote]

You don't say if this to be a holiday home or permanent move ?

Brittany is very nice.We have lived here in the village since July 2009.

We bought from an immoblier and signed at the Notaire.A member of staff translated and it all went ok.

So far no regrets!

Kit,

We bought in the south Charente in 2005 and only used a translator at the Notaires. Our french at that time was non-existant but we managed to reduced the price by €10,000 and saved the estate agent's fees. The french people we bought the house off took us out to dinner after the signing, they spoke no english!(it was an experience)!

Best of luck

• 2 months later...
Sprogster's post was spot on - it's far easier to buy than to sell. It's also expensive if you eventually realise you would rather be somewhere else.

My suggestion would be to choose your area (after a lot of research), rent there and then try to find a "search buddy" through the forum, an individual who knows the area well and has time to spare to show you around (and no, I don't mean me, you suspicious lot!). In my area I can think of several early-retirees who would be very helpful for little cost.