Lesson learnt at Leclerc

Georgina

I made the mistake of buying my son's cartable at 24E from here and it broke within two weeks. Unfortunately I bought it (and my other son's) from the massive Leclerc store on holiday some miles away and even though I used my store card and I had the receipt, but nice lady rottweiller at customer services told me very abruptly I could not exchange it as I had not bought it from their shop!!! ugh???? and I would have to take it back there.  She was really rude about it and dismissed me like a school child.  When I asked to see the "chef" she rang him and turned her back to me, whilst discussing me in a derogatory manner.(unbelievable) and then told me he would not come. So even though I used my card there and I cannot get a replacement unless I travel 100 km (in other words enough petrol to buy another).  So I have come away with the hair standing up on my neck (should customer services be like this).  So you frenchies, really I cannot believe they treat customers like this.  What would you have done.

[:@]

Except in very specific instances customer service in French supermarket chains doesn't exist. [6]

Try Googling to find the general Leclerc site and then ust the contact us button and see how you get on.

Please let us know as we've all from time to time been on the end of Mme. Unhelpful's withering counter attack.

Georgina, surprisingly the Leclercs are franchised, as most of the supermarket chains appear to be in France. Therefore, the one you bought from is most probably not affiliated with the one you tried to get a refund.  I tend to shop at a couple depending on where I am on the day and they are not affiliated so I am accumulating points at two separate Leclercs.

However, just because they are not connected certainly doesn't excuse her behaviour. Fingers crossed you get a result, good luck.

[quote user="WJT"]

Georgina, surprisingly the Leclercs are franchised, as most of the supermarket chains appear to be in France. Therefore, the one you bought from is most probably not affiliated with the one you tried to get a refund.

[/quote]

Which is why I suggested that you use the contact button on the general Leclerc site and not the one where they were rude.

Yes thanks, but they are getting all the benefits of being a large store and loyalty of customers because of the name, and then they take none of the responsiblity,  does not seem right here as they all sell the same things. I just don't understand this at all. One for Sarkozy to deal with.  Do you think he would listen [;-)]

Georgina

I didn't realise they had a general site, duh! I guess this must be the central buying office or franchiser, it is all very confusing.

I have found that because many of the supermarkets are franchised they do tend to vary greatly, particularly with stock. However, with situations like this, it is very frustrating to say the least.

I think we have got used to UK shops giving refunds almost automatically, whether or not they are legally obliged to do so. And I have witnessed blatant cases of abuse by customers who have had little difficulty getting money back on non-faulty used items. Clearly the large UK chains have taken the view that it's a cost of remaining competitive and better to be ripped off occasionally than get a bad name for being difficult.

This doesn't seem to have caught on in France. On the contrary, some seem to find it difficult to accept that the customer has any rights once they have left the shop. The local Atac is a very friendly supermarket and they will do anything to put things right before you buy. However, on the couple of occasions I have returned things - one "off" food item and a pair of branch loppers that wouldn't cut - it seemed to throw the staff into total confusion. I eventually got my refund/exchange but it took forever as they seemed to have no mechanism for dealing with such things. (The store manager gave me the refund from his pocket; I wondered if he even claimed it back from the company.)

Just try and change an item at the Brickolage ....now there is a challenge  for you  !..... Saying that ...I have had guys slit open packaging with a Stanley knife so sizes... threads.. etc can be checked  before I bought ... which is good service  from them ..when at the same place the female staff insist you pay for it first ....and it its wrong.... forget the chance of a refund ...... So perhaps its a female  " I am in charge today thing "   and you got the wrong staff member on the day ?

Bought a light in a M.Bricolage and found it did not work,took it back to the same shop and they replaced it but before I left,I plugged it in to one of their sockets-that didn't work either.The cashier got a lad from the stockroom who unpacked all of the ones in their display(about 10) and checked all of them.About 1/2 worked and I was given one of those.