buying stamps

Polremy

I know we are retired and so in theory we have loads of time to spare buuuut.... whenever we need a stamp we go to our village post office and it takes at least 20 minutes. Our local tabac takes a dim view of selling stamps unless you are buying postcards. Where else do they sell stamps without making you feel you are asking for charity?

[quote user="Clair"]I buy stamps by the carnet (book of ten) so I always have some at hand.

Why does it take 20mn to buy stamps at the post office? [8-)]

[/quote]

Clair.  You should know that post office queues here are painfully long and slow.  Post office queues are one of the most frustrating aspects of French life.

Polremy.  My post office circulated a graph of its peak times.  The period before lunchtime is the busiest and so best to avoid.  Early in the morning and immediately after lunch were the best times to find shorter queues.

[quote user="Cathy"]Clair.  You should know that post office queues here are painfully long and slow.  Post office queues are one of the most frustrating aspects of French life. [/quote]

Beg to differ... I don't think I've had to wait over 10mn more than once.

Maybe I just pick the right time?

or it could be that rottweiler behind the counter does not encourage small talk! [:-))]

I don't have a problem with our Post Office. Like Clair our post "mistress" is not the chatty type[;-)]

The place that really gets me is our local Super U. The milk is fresh when I pick it up off the shelf, but by the time I have managed to pay for it...... Yoghurt anybody???

[quote user="Nell"]

I don't have a problem with our Post Office. Like Clair our post "mistress" is not the chatty type[;-)]

The place that really gets me is our local Super U. The milk is fresh when I pick it up off the shelf, but by the time I have managed to pay for it...... Yoghurt anybody???

[/quote]

....And our local Lidl....

Our post mistress doubles at the job with her main job being that of running Proxi.  She is a dragon and her husband not much better and the locals have even complained to the Mayor.   Indeed the locals go to the next village.  I tend to go to Fontenay buy in bulk and thus do not go into our local post office.  she then suffers for what I need I buy from the other shop in the village.

You really feel uncomfortable with our local post mistress.  If she does not like the job give it up.

What's this about postmistresses?  Ours was a regular dragon and has never been known to smile.  Haven't seen her lately, however, and I have heard that she's now retired.  Phew!

I also know that Twinkle's postmistress is so much like mine that at one time we thought we must be living in the same village without knowing it!

• 1 month later...

The staff in our Post Office are very helpful but there always seem to be customers who are carrying out complicated business transactions that take 5 or 10 minutes. They also help you to pack a parcel in those folding boxes, then you have to fill in various forms.

So I sympathise with you, Polremy.

Must look out for the stamp machine though.

Ours is very slow. I had three letters to post, two in France, one to Australia. They were all in A4 size envelopes with varying weights. It took the lady 15 minutes to price them up and put her little stickers on. I don't know why it took so long, but she was going from folder to folder looking stuff up and pushing buttons on her computer. To my mind, you put the envelope on the scales, type the destination on the computer, the computer calculates the postage, prints out a label and you stick it on. 30 seconds max. What could be easier? And I'm sure La Poste is advanced enough to be able to cope with something as simple and basic as that.