France is getting a bit pricey?

milkeybar kid

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Mr Scooby for your informed comments,

As for me being a pisshead no I am not.

Fluent French speaker, no, but learning.

I do not work in France but have owned a house here for 5 years.

"Does not have grasp of French socioeconomics", well I am no economic expert but I understand my financial situation, and have a small understanding of European economics.

But just because I do not fit your lofty Ideals, I do not think that gives you the right to be abusive 

[quote user="NickP"]

Thank you Mr Scooby for your informed comments,

As for me being a pisshead no I am not.

Fluent French speaker, no, but learning.

I do not work in France but have owned a house here for 5 years.

"Does not have grasp of French socioeconomics", well I am no economic expert but I understand my financial situation, and have a small understanding of European economics.

[/quote]

I don't think I need to say any more....

Btw it's Mrs Scooby [:)]

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="woolybanana"]

Or the Vendée. Or most of France

Normie Baby, how is the wheelchair?

[/quote]

Wools, stop acting the bully!  If I didn't know you better, I'd be really shocked at your comment.

[/quote]

It's ok..I have graduated to a crutch..[:P]

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="woolybanana"]

Normie Baby, how is the wheelchair?

[/quote]

Wools, stop acting the bully!  If I didn't know you better, I'd be really shocked at your comment.

[/quote]

It's ok..I have graduated to a crutch..[:P]

[/quote]

And Woolybamama, if I didn't you any better, I would report you. Hitting at disabilities is not just unbecoming, it is also inexcusable, whatever amount of booze has been consumed..

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="cooperlola"] [/quote]

I can't believe what I am reading on this forum about the cost of living in France. It beggars the question of why people move here? We live here because we love the way of life and culture, the calmness and tranquillity, we love the fact that people here have great civic pride in their towns and villages, We love the fact that we can go out of a night and not face the prospect of feral teenagers  terrorising the neighbourhood and  not having to avoid the drunks rolling around the town centres. [/quote]

I reckon that NormanH and I must live in a different France then.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Why do we all have to live to the 'lowest common denominator', as Normie wishes?[/quote]

I try my best not to but it is difficult when one is surrounded by it quotidiennement. where I live  it pays not to stand out from the crowd as like a protruding nail you will soon get whacked on the head.

I dined with a group of people from my sub-aqua club last night, it was only the second time in 5 years that I have not been surrounded by the lowest common denominators.

I am not complaining, I chose to live here and there is a certain honesty in the dishonesty of my fellow inhabitants, that is to say they make no attempt to hide it, in fact they are proud of it. The ones to watch out for are those that are articulate and sage enough to be capable of hiding it.

My taxes have gone up this year as follow:

Commune + 7.76%

Département + 19.41% [:-))]

Region +7.94%

Taxe ordures +7.54%

Btw it's Mrs Scooby

Mrs Scoobie, now that you have informed me that you are of the gender that has small feet, I wholeheartedly apologise for referring to you as Mr Scoobie. In hindsight I should have realised from your selective editing of my answers to your questions, that you may be of the female persuasion. Still we move on and I hope that you never run out of mint cake and that the sun continues to shine on Dordogneshire

[quote user="NickP"]

Btw it's Mrs Scooby

Mrs Scoobie, now that you have informed me that you are of the gender that has small feet, I wholeheartedly apologise for referring to you as Mr Scoobie. In hindsight I should have realised from your selective editing of my answers to your questions, that you may be of the female persuasion. Still we move on and I hope that you never run out of mint cake and that the sun continues to shine on Dordogneshire

[/quote]

I think, Mr P, that editing is when you delete bits not when you highlight [:D] but then, as most secretaries are of the female persuasion, I'll forgive you [;-)]  Have a piece of mint cake to make up...

• 1 month later...

Scooby wrote;

Hmmm, NickP, NormanH lives in the 'real' France - you know the cities...where they have poverty, unemployment and violence, where there are large numbers of immigrants, high crime rates...bit like the UK city you clearly left behind.  From your posts I am guessing you live in rural France - which is just as buccolic, has the same 'community spirit' and lack of crime as...the Cotswolds, Yorkshire Dales, Peak District, Snowdonia... but where a leg of lamb is five times the price it is in the UK!!

I was very sad to see on the news that the police were guarding houses in Cockermouth to stop looting. I worked in Cockermouth years ago and do not remember it to be a big bad city like" the real one Norman lives in", if Norman wants to live in a dump that's his choice. By the way Leg of lamb in Lidl is not five times the price of the UK . I never lived in a city in the UK, home counties mate, and yes I have a house in rural  France. Loir et Cher.

NickP

No idea what's going on in good old blighty (or France for that matter) - busy backpacking around Europe, though there has been a lot of flooding in Galway (where we are atm).

Glad to hear you are from the home counties old chap - good egg etc.... Not sure where Loir et cher is though.  You sure you spelled that right??

I take it the mint cake ran out...or you choked on it?

[quote user="Scooby"]NickP

No idea what's going on in good old blighty (or France for that matter) - busy backpacking around Europe, though there has been a lot of flooding in Galway (where we are atm).

Glad to hear you are from the home counties old chap - good egg etc.... Not sure where Loir et cher is though.  You sure you spelled that right??

I take it the mint cake ran out...or you choked on it?

[/quote]

Mint cake run out all right, it didn't like Surrey or the Loir Et Cher, was seen running up St Jacques "high St" shouting get me back to the lake district. Unfortunately local French farmer saw it, panicked; and shot it, not a happy end! I enquired at the local Mairie and was reliably informed that the spelling of Loir Et Cher is indeed correct. Enjoy  Galway.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="NickP"] I enquired at the local Mairie and was reliably informed that the spelling of Loir Et Cher is indeed correct. [/quote]
Did you get it in writing  [:P]?
[/quote]

No! the mayor said he wasn't sure, but as I am English and wouldn't know any better, the spelling would do. You must realise  this is the country ( France),   that  introduced the Non Permis car because a lot of "country folk" couldn't pass the driving test or at least the written part. So his logic is good enough pour moi. I think sometimes they make it up as they go along. I love it,  makes life much more interesting.