Skin care and stuff

EmilyA

Have just been reading Gwyneth Paltrow's blog where she talks about stocking up on skin care products from French pharmacies because she rates them very highly.
http://goop.com/newsletter/114/
I have been exploring the La Roche Posay range and find their moisturisers and cleansing stuff very good for my dry skin. Has anybody got any other favourites? I realise it is a bit of a frivolous topic, but it is Christmas....

I think the point is that what you can buy in the pharmacy is not the over-hyped, over-priced, miracle cure end of the market. The products are not stuffed full of chemicals, but made from pretty natural ingredients and reasonably priced. But I wasn't really up for a heated debate about the cosmetics industry, more of a chat about what people like to use.....

I've never been into anything fancy, pricey or exclusive. Not for me the 2-ounce jar of Crème de la Mer for £90!

I read the Goop newsletter when it came out a while back and did look

for the products online. The prices given by the manufacturers (when I

could find them) quickly discouraged me from giving the recommendations any further thought... [:)]

Back in the days, I used to buy The Body Shop's aloe vera body lotion by the litre, literally.

I would take my bottles to the shop for a refill and drive a few miles to their HQ in Littlehampton for discounted or end-of-line stuff from the shop there.

Nowadays, I'm happy with Nivea for the face and Dove's deliciously-scented Supreme Body Silk cream for the rest!

You might like to try Dexeryl, which our (French) doc recommended to me a few years back for dry skin. The active components are glycerene, vaseline and liqiud parafin. The last tubes I bought were in August and cost €4,36 for 250 g.

Mrs Benjamin stopped using Nivea in favour of dexeryl. It absorbs easily and is non-greasy.

Can't find anything like it in the UK despite talking to numerous chemists.

[quote user="Patf"]Coops - they are supposed to counteract dry skin which you get as the youthful bloom dissipates [:D]
[/quote]I suspect that the drying out is maybe a legacy of years of gunk, rather than age, which - sadly - one cannot reverse for any money.  I have only ever put water on my face and, quite honestly, I don't think it looks any worse than the skin of most of my contemporaries who must have spent thousands over the years!  Yes, I'm a bit wrinkly, but so are most people of 57.  My o/h (who doesn't put stuff on his face either) looks at least 10 years younger than he actually is (not just my opinion).  Why women have to be slaves to these daft notions just beats the hell out of me and always has.

Nivea Soft for me too - if I remember rightly Joanna Lumley and Joan Collins both use either Nivea or Astral.....Coops without a moisturizer my skin feels tight and also a cream helps with protection against the sun, just a little.......

I quite like Yves Rocher citrus and 'fresh' type smells, otherwise Shea butter by L'occitane is good and so are Origins body creams, if I feel like a bit of luxury.....I wear perfume/EDT each day and a body cream or lotion in the same family of scents helps to prolong the effect.

I like a bit of luxury too, especially now I am getting older. I have had eczema all my life; I used aqueous cream  for about 30 years and put up with the red patches on my face because I thought that the simplest and cheapest stuff was best. I then went a bit up market to the Roche Posay range and the redness, flaking and soreness has gone.

I also like Aveeno for the bath, it has oatmeal in it and is good if you have allergies.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Why women have to be slaves to these daft notions just beats the hell out of me and always has.[/quote]

Beg to disagree [:D]

You may be blessed with superb skin but I've suffered from itchy skin for years (hence the Body Shop aloe vera lotion by the gallon).

I feel the difference in my skin the moment I apply lotion after a shower.

I'm not bothered about wrinkles, lines or freckles. I just want to feel comfortable in my skin.

[quote user="Benjamin"]You might like to try Dexeryl, which our (French) doc recommended to me a few years back for dry skin. The active components are glycerene, vaseline and liqiud parafin. The last tubes I bought were in August and cost €4,36 for 250 g.

Can't find anything like it in the UK despite talking to numerous chemists.
[/quote]

This product is made by the Pierre Fabre laboratory, which also manufactures Avène, Galénic, Klorane and some other skin-care products.

It is available on Amazon UK.

It's a good, basic emollient, but I find its smell off-putting, although they do sell a scented version under the name Ictyane.

My friend spends a fortune on such potions. And she smokes but not a lot, however, drinks a lot and her skin is lovely. Genetics or they work, I have no idea. I just cannot bring myself to pay what she pays. I know that Aldi had a cream that was very popular a couple of years ago.

If I put anything on it's oil of olay and that is rarely.

What can I say Coops, but, Vivres les Wrinklies.

I'd hate botox, I may have a wrinkly smile, but at least I can smile..... and maybe if I didn't smile so much, I wouldn't have so many wrinkles???????? Hmm is that how it works.[:-))]

Have to add, I do use Avene for eyes and lips on my eyes when I have dry skin or an irriation, recommended by my dermatologue and is very good for me.

My late mum, who used Oil of Ulay (or Olay, or Olaz, or insert national variation of your choice) and nothing else for about 50 years, died four years ago at the age of 88. Prior to her death, as her health deteriorated and she began to spend more time visiting hospitals, she was frequently asked her age.  Just part of the normal form-filling exercises associated with such visits...

On a regular basis, she would state her age and be met with "Gosh, you don't look it!".  One day, after such an appointment, she was telling me what had happened and said "I've been using Oil of Ulay for over 40 years, and I think the effects are finally beginning to kick in"

I have a stock of moisturisers which would shame Boots. I even get Aveeno on prescription[:D]. No vanity involved...just a combo of annoying skin complaints.

I used Oil of Ulay as it was then from when I was 14 years old, and a customer at the baker shop where I was a Saturday girl bought it for me. I used it for years and always thought it softened my skin, but when it went global, introducing more and more products at higher and higher prices, I abandoned it in favour of anything I could get on offer at the supermarket.

Can't use Nivea or Astral, too thick, they drag your skin. I do find now that I'm older that my skin is more sensitive, and some creams have brought me out in a rash, but not moisturise? Never!

One Christmas when I was a young teenager, we had a houseful of overnight guests and the lady next door offered to let us use her bedrooms for extra guests for the festive period as she was away.  I gave up my bed to a guest and then went to sleep next door.

When I finally crept up the stairs in the wee small hours of Christmas night I had a fit of the giggles when I saw on the neighbours dressing table, a huge tub of udder cream - of course everyone next door could hear me laughing, but they had to wait until the morning to find out just what had caused such mirth ![:)]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]There are many udder creams available, apart from the ones already under discussion..
[/quote]

Current 400 gm pot, produced by Battle,Hayward & Bower Ltd of Lincoln.

Clearly marked FOR ANIMAL USE ONLY     KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Very satisfied with the product.