Primark to open in France

NormanH

Being neither a yoof nor as skinny as I once may have been, does this mean I should stop shopping there? Only I'm not quite sure what I would do without them. Their T-shirts, accessories, summer linen trousers, swimwear, household textiles, socks, pyjamas.......

[quote user="Clair"]Their market is yoofs and skinny-minnies.

[/quote]

Is that a quote from somewhere as I am sure you have said you don't like generalisations and as the UK has Europe's obesity central they could hardly a minority and succeed as they have. Primark is owned by the same people as Fortnum and Mason so a fine pedigree.

We have had New Look here in Brest for a few years now and all their products are marked up in sterling as well. C&A still exist here and I often pop in and stock up ontheir bundles of socks and knickers. Never been to a Primark as there were none in the south of UK when we lived there and my sister who lived in Co.Durham for a time said they were a northern company like Asda were before they spread south.

I think they're actually Irish. They started as Penney's.

TBH, on the rare occasions I stumble into or across a French branch of C&A, I wonder why it is that I was surprised they closed down. Bundles of underwear maybe, but the rest of their selection seems so dowdy and dated. I can't remember them selling that sort of stuff quite so much in the UK, but if they did, then I'm surprised they stayed afloat for so long'

It will be interesting to see what being in France does to Primark's prices.

I never really shopped in C&A in England and then when I moved back it closed or was closed. However, over the years I have had some lovely stuff from C&A's in France, in Holland and in Geneva. And few classic things I have, well, the quality has been superlative, they were expensive but have lasted for years and years.

I am hoping to fly to Geneva soonish and have been working out how I can get to C&A with my case either on my way in or out, now if my knees were not gammy, I would be at La Placette or what ever they are calling it now and then over the bridge to C&A and a hot chocolate at Chez Arthurs, a lovely day out. But no longer a simple day out.

I'm rather too big for Primark but have bought stuff for my sons from there.

Just after we moved back I was in Newcastle and had gone into Newcastle at sale time and it was packed and looked like a bomb had hit it. I sort of backed out of the place and just stood looking at it the shop front as more people poured in. An old lady placed her hand on my arm and was smiling as she said, in a beautiful geordie accent  that it was a jumble sale..... and it was, but maybe worse....... I have never seen such a disorganised jumble sale![:D]

C&A main problem with the UK was that shop rents were too high and that Marks & Spencer had the market position they held in Holland & Germany. Impossible to check on their  profitbility as from memory in those days they were a Dutch unlimited partnership which did not file published accounts. Irroncally last time I was in their Bordeaux store the walls had repro posters from the UK on them.