Six Nations 2007

Quillan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Quillan"]

If I were the England team I would be a bit worried about France now.

[/quote]

The way I see it, today's result gives us (England) a better chance of winning the Championship.

If Ireland had won today (& to me, they didn't deserve to), then we would have been up against it in 2 wks time.  As it is, they're the ones under pressure because 2 defeats out of 3 played, means that it's all over for them. I fancy our chances in Dublin.

Then France at home.  Plenty of time to analyse the French tactics.

Are we playing the Welsh, or have they already conceded the match?

[:@].  Don't be too cocky Ian or you may end up eating your words. ([:)])

The Wales v England match is held on the last day of the tournament each year and is the highlight of the Welsh sporting calender.  Tickets are like gold.  Hubby is in a box this year but I had booked skiing beforehand for the same day. 

For those that videoed the match, just see how many French players were off side at the restart just before the winning try. It should have been a scrum down to Ireland at the centre spot. However, the referee is always sole judge of law and time.........

I rather think Ian could be right or rather Ladebrooks do. But of course if you want to put a pound on with them they will give you 125 back if they win.

Latest betting is.:

France - 4/6 Shortening

England - 9/4 No change

Ireland - 4/1 Drifting

Wales - 125/1 Drifting

Italy - No Bet

You should join your local French rugby club to get tickets. We only paid 40 something Euros last year to see England v France. I have two for France v Wales (right in the middle for 54 Euros) but after this weekend I don't think I will bother now, the England game is more important.

Gardian I do understand that the Gard is a bit of a wilderness but what calendar have you been looking at in relation to the games that Ireland have played.  I am not sure but believe they have only played two one against us in Cardiff and of course against the French yesterday?  I say this obviously as a Welsh guy and wondered if you have been to Cardiff for a Wales v England game.  It takes on a totally differing meaning and the clash and its background is lost in the mists of time.

I have long thought that England would get it right especially as it has not been brilliant for them since the World cup and also believe that you will win on the day for you have the better side albeit made up of some rugby league guy!  However I do respectfully suggest that we await the day and the result for sometimes things one says come back and bite you and where it hurts.  As to us conceding anything to the guys in white then I am sorry you just do not understand history.

On the day let the better side win and win fairly and squairly.  Let us hope for a good game for I can tell you that in Wales at the moment (and I live in France) there are mumblings and threats and all sorts of things being bandied about.  It is something special to pull on that red jersey and those who had the supreme honour of doing so on Saturday will today be reminded of that and of the things to come.......................

[quote user="Llwyncelyn"]

Gardian I do understand that the Gard is a bit of a wilderness but what calendar have you been looking at in relation to the games that Ireland have played.  I am not sure but believe they have only played two one against us in Cardiff and of course against the French yesterday?  I say this obviously as a Welsh guy and wondered if you have been to Cardiff for a Wales v England game.  It takes on a totally differing meaning and the clash and its background is lost in the mists of time.

I have long thought that England would get it right especially as it has not been brilliant for them since the World cup and also believe that you will win on the day for you have the better side albeit made up of some rugby league guy!  However I do respectfully suggest that we await the day and the result for sometimes things one says come back and bite you and where it hurts.  As to us conceding anything to the guys in white then I am sorry you just do not understand history.

On the day let the better side win and win fairly and squairly.  Let us hope for a good game for I can tell you that in Wales at the moment (and I live in France) there are mumblings and threats and all sorts of things being bandied about.  It is something special to pull on that red jersey and those who had the supreme honour of doing so on Saturday will today be reminded of that and of the things to come.......................

[/quote]

What I meant to convey is that if Ireland were to lose against England, then that would be just one win from 3 played.

Regrettably, I've never been to Cardiff for a Wales - England match, but have seen a couple of matches at Twickenham.  Good times.

A very old friend of ours, who is a diehard Welshman and former player and referee, exchanges 'joshing' emails with me before, during and after every 6 Nations match. All part of the fun.  I can see it coming - we might win in Dublin, we might even edge it vs the French, then your guys will go and spoil the party and play out of their skins in Cardiff.

Having said all of that, I reckon that a bit of that 9/4 against England winning, wouldn't be a bad bet.  France certainly aren't 4/6. 

Gardian I absolutely agree its a good bet between England and France and with the crunch perhaps coming between those two sides.

We have been at the sharp end of defeats against England and cannot rely upon the events of the 70/80's when we had a supreme side and with wonderful players.  Today is today history is consigned to history.

Been the HQ lost on too many times but also have been to Wembley those were the days.

From time to time I just replay the game between the Ba Bas and the All Blacks.  JPR Gareth Duckham John Pullen Slattery Tom David (where did he go) and a host of others.  However would they be able to match today's much better prepared sides and very much so professional.  We cannot of course compare.

I am a diehard Welsh guy but a realist and my best mate is from the White Rose county we agree on cricket and Geoff Boycott but on rugby days we part and then meet up afterwards and make up with beer!

[quote user="powerdesal"]Who to support - that is the question.

English born but with Irish ancestors, lived in Wales for many years and was in the R.R.W. (TA), have house in France.
Talk about split loyalties. Perhaps I should just 'cop out' and support Scotland. Italy -who are they???
[/quote]

A bit like my son...

born in Wales from a French mother and an English father with some Irish/Welsh ancestry.... sometime is seen supporting the Sprinboks as his father spend a lot of his childhood in the southern part of Africa. 

From his hide out in Armenia he has asked us to video ALL matches but preferably the Welsh ones.... IMHO a bit of a waste of tape at the mo.... When he is next on leave, it's going to be a grumpy thing walking around the house...    Kids![:D]

• 2 weeks later...

I always hang my Welsh flag out on my front gate whenever Wales are playing.  I was telling some musicien collegues about it last night and I said that I was sure my neighbours probably say something like "Allez! L'Anglaise a sortie le dragon encore!"   ("The English girl has got the dragon out again!")

While the fabulous Catherine Jenkins sang the Welsh anthem this evening, my French mates were ringing my phone off the hook enquiring whether or not I was singing along. 

I was - of course[;-)]

Yeah, okay......so they beat us - but they can't sing to save their lives[:D]

Not a good day for UK teams. The classic of 'how to get it wrong' or 'how not to play rugby' must be Scotland. Once was forgivable but three times and then not to kick for penalties (18 points worth if I counted right)! I thought Italy were good but in reality it was not Italy that won, it was Scotland that lost the game.

I thought the Irish were a bit unkind to the English. It was agreed they would walk out together then Ireland changed their mind at the last minute. They came out 10 minutes late whilst England stood around for 20 minutes in the rain. I wondered what all this nationalism and anti English came from. Ok some terrible things were done but on both sides and some of these things happened 90 years ago. I can remember back in 1972 when the IRA said anyone going to Ireland for the 5 Nations (as it was then) would be shot or blown up. England went, the only ones who did, and got 20 minutes standing ovation from the (mainly) Irish crowd. The championship was then abandoned that year. There is no place for politics in sport.

I see Ladbrokes are in a bit of a 2 and 8 and have not issued odds on the next round. Nice to see my tip coming true about Italy who are now above Scotland and Wales. Mind you if they get above England as well I won’t be so happy.

Till the next time.

[quote user="Quillan"]

"They came out 10 minutes late whilst England stood around for 20 minutes in the rain. I wondered what all this nationalism and anti English came from". [/quote]

I really don't think there was any "Nationalism" or, indeed, "Politics" involved here. It's a "Head F**k. It's an old one, South Africa have used it time again but it wasn't the reason England lost the game. England played badly.

[quote user="Ecrou Papillion"]

England played badly.

[/quote]

To be honest, I didn't think that we were that bad.  We just got stuffed by a far superior side which played out of it's skin on the day.

The Welsh have been better than their 3 defeats so far would indicate (choking on that as I write it !!!)  It'll be hard for us in Cardiff.

Best result of the weekend was to see the Scots well and truly 'done over'.  Loved it.  

Best result of the weekend was to see the Scots well and truly 'done over'.  Loved it.  

I have to say, it's refreshing to hear the Welsh venting their spleen on the Sweaties. As an Englishman, it's a relief not to be the default target for dislike among our colonial cousins! Big Smile [:D]

There is no doubt in my mind France will have the slam this year and I don't say that because they are my host nation. I will support England but, even at Twickers, I don't think they can win on the 11th.

I just want to make sure that France and Wales were fighting it out on the rugby field this weekend.... Or were they[8-)]?.... Well ... not according to the Sunday Telegraph Sports Editor!...

1st page of the sport supplement : England humbled!... ahhh poor you my heart cries [:'(]

2nd page : Scotland.... well... lost the game[:-))] ?... I think more of a lost the plot! ...... less said about that....

and the rest of the pages....... footie, footie, footie, footie, footie, footie, cycling, ski-ing, etc.... etc.... [blink]

Now .... I, moi[:$]! was in my armchair, in my house, in Wales, in the United Kingdom, on this earth, watching ALL of these matches! I am sure I was! eventhough I had a few [B]!!...... So why wasn't there a post mortem editorial on the France v Wales match?.......... Did they play that match on Mars and the reporter miss the shuttle flight back to the newsroom?...Did he lose his mobile that he couldn't dictate his piece.....

Dangerous that place Mars is...The Brits did lose an exploring robot there once...so maybe the Telegraph has lost a reporter too...[8-)] 

[quote user="Missy"]

.... So why wasn't there a post mortem editorial on the France v Wales match?.......... Did they play that match on Mars and the reporter miss the shuttle flight back to the newsroom?...Did he lose his mobile that he couldn't dictate his piece.....

Dangerous that place Mars is...The Brits did lose an exploring robot there once...so maybe the Telegraph has lost a reporter too...[8-)] 

[/quote]

I think you'll find that the late kick-off (the game ended at about 23:40 UK time) didn't allow for comment on the France v Wales match to appear in earlier editions of the UK Sunday papers.

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

"(the game ended at about 23:40 UK time)"

[Www]

No, I don't think it did, kick-off was around 20.00 U.K. time

[/quote]

Quite right!

I'm getting my elbow confused with my rear end! But I'm sure the late kick-off caused the lack of reports in early editions of the Sunday papers. The deadline for the first editions is around 21:30.