New project Guitar

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alonso drove well??? I was "watching" the timing pages on line, the mother in law is really watching Gregory Peck dressed as a sailor! In summary, didn't see the race[:@]

I always liked Knoffler, he says he can still remember what a Fender catologue smells like!

Personally not a huge lover of current F I, Steve: far too processional.

However, Alonso has that spark of genius, to me, so like McClaren, Fittipaldi, Rindt, Petterson, Lauda, etc.

Knopfler: what can I say? The Governor. The only man who the late Chet Atkins asked to cut an album with!

Of course, unlike Clapton who uses a pick, Knopfler fingerpicks and can also create all the sliding harmonics, just like Atkins.

Grovel, grovel.........

You are so right, one of the reasons I don't miss working in it. Dull and boring to watch. Cevert, Depaillier, Stewart, etc, I like motor RACING! Fortunately we have a superb kart track in Bergerac, and a better when near Agen!!

And again your so right, I once sat opposite Wilko Johnson, who I had always been told was, "an average guitarist". He played three guitar parts all at once. So well I was looking around the room to see where the others were. Didn't pick up a guitar for months!

I was fortunate enought to see the real master Clark at work  "In the office" and of course, as you say since he was a real racing driver, he drove everything from saloons to FI. Watched him pedal the Lotus 30 Group 7 "Big Banger" sports- racer round Brand's Grand prix circuit on its maiden outing, for example.

A typical "Chunky" effort, every time Clark approached Clearways and braked, a front locked and it span: travelling backwards in the region of 130 mph, Jim just merely said "Och!", flicked the car through 180 degrees and continued on his merry way. Lap after lap.

Fantastic days.

And yes, it is a real pleasure to see and hear a master guitarist at work. But, as you again say, makes you want to give up for ever..............[blink] In 1977, during the Queen's Silver Jubileee, I watched a fantastic programme about the Spanish pilgrims en route to Santiago de Compostela  which was narrated by Paco Pena; who of course kept playing flamenco guitar around the campfire each evening: and that made me want to give up, too. At least I can counter-clap!

Forgive me if this has been posted, but I'm going for it, and have already sourced the required bits (Ebay of course!!).

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/logo.htm

I'm also considering just waxing the neck as opposed to laquering. Good idea??

• 3 weeks later...
Paul at Music Kings says, "SG and 335 kts by September", my wallt says by Christamas!!!

Dick, how's the Les Paul, where's the pictures??

We're on our way home Friday 15th, but not via Le Mans, so we're going Rouen, Orleans, Limoge. I have picked up lots of little bits to get on with the Tele, but my other half has friends coming down the day after we arrive, then the film crew from Yesterdays Racers are coming down Tuesday to film the old circuit at Cadours, Peter Warr at home, and something else (if I can think of it and write it quick enough!!), so the Tele gats to wait again. It has to be done by winter!!

• 3 weeks later...
Cut the headstock

[IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/f1steveuk/cuthead.jpg[/IMG]

gave the body a severe rub down until baby bottom smooth and then 20 coats of antique wax, and shielded the cavity

[IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/f1steveuk/sheilding.jpg[/IMG]

and assembeled for set up with dummy Esquire pickgaurd until I find a material

[IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/f1steveuk/esquire.jpg[/IMG]

Fitted a three saddle bridge and converted the jack plug to a proper recessed one.

Plays ok, but I am going to let it settle for a week or two before "tweaking starts" !!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the forum!

The guitar tech is currently on tour earning a crust, and is somewhere in New Mexico. So if you still need a nut job, he will be back!

I have managed to trak down a real Fender Esquire pickguard at last, sadly an 8 hole one, not the 5 hole I was after, but beggars etc etc. I was toying with buying some pickguard sheeting (blue pearl) but once brought, posted, cut, and fitted, it was just cheaper to buy a black one.

Also if you visit  The Music King (a quick Google) you'll see they now do SGs, Les Paul Juniors, Thinline (e.g. semi acoustic) Tele's, a Gibson Firebird/Explorer type and a Paul MaCartney violin bass etc etc etc, and the prices haven't gone up much!

Hi, my son, whose band's first single comes out Marh 24th, has had a go and he said it sounded "phat", which is good apparently!

It has the treble attack it should have, but I decided to wire it as a simple single pick up, there was so little to gain from a full esquire wiring job. I let the whole thing settle for over a month before tackling the set up, and I'm still tweeking the neck, but so far I'm really happy. Once it's finally sorted I am leaving it for a year (apart from playing it) and then I'm going to think about doing a proper paint job.

• 2 weeks later...
I got an e mail from my guitar tech mate, who tells me his tour ends in May!!!

On a more postive note, I have finally tracked down a genuine Fender Esquire pickgaurd, sadly an eight hole one, not the five I'd have liked. Got some strap buttons coming (real Fender as well) but as yet no proper metal volume/tone knobs.

Now I have found an Epiphone SG that needs rescuing and in need of "some work", so I may have another project on the go soon.

Just in case anyone is thinking of doing a guitar kit, or another one I found some even better ones!!

Pick the shape, the neck, the type of hardware etc and build your own!!!

http://www.kmguitars.com/

I now HAVE to finish the Esquire!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Steve

As I haven't been following the thread closely - a belated congratulations on the finished article - she looks really well.

If you now have the bug for tinkering - the forum below is packed with useful info.

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&message_area_number=7&lastpost=2008-05-0800:04:34

Is your tech friend back yet? If so could you PM me?

Mr Cat

I'll pm as well, but no he's not which is a shame, as I really need his help changing the nut for a bone (or graphite) one, and I'm not happy with the neck, I'm just certain I'm not doing it right, but it still holds it's tune, and plays well!!

• 1 month later...