New project Guitar

Blimey, thanks for the in depth answer! I will plug the hole, as I want to be as close to the single pick up Esquire as possible, and until I decide on the scratchplate (I need a sheet of bakerlite!!!) I was going to use it without a scratchplate. The wiring for the Esquire isn't ultra complicated, but If I am going to reproduce it, best do it ptoperly!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pleasure.

One of those URLs I posted yesterday sells the right type of plastic sheet for scratchplates etc.

It isn't Bakerlight, which from memory was (from Google actually!) phenol formaldehyde resin. You need something like ABS, I seem to recall. [8-)]

Could be: if he was planning on breaking the World Speed Record for Guitars![:D]

Which neatly leads me on to my other favourite love real racing cars and real racing drivers.

Sir Stirling was on BBC TV lunchtime, (The Daily Politics, Brillo Neil's pension), telling that idiot Ed Balls (in case the filter edits the name of the Cabinet Treasury Secretary[:(] round, spherical objects called cojones in Spanish!), his fortune.

Stirling was fuming about the planned national UK charge for simply driving: and pointing out that zillions of billions had been nicked from British motorists.

Umm...yes I have seen that before.

One of the problems here is that of compromise; as always!

No amount of adjustment of truss rod and bridge will compensate for a duff neck.

Again, as I said before, different players want different styles and therefore different gauge strings which will exert different strain on the neck when tuned to correct pitch.

Also, if you stop and think about it, the different thickness strings will all need different heights to avoid fret buzz. Thus the string lie from top G to bottom G will be quite different.

At first consideration, people imagine that the strings sit at an angle from the fingerboard, sloping up from the nut at the head to the bridge. They don't. Or rather should not. They should lie almost parallel and this is the trick.

As the guy on the Tripod site says, some frets are slightly twisted. Very hard to bang in the frets, which are only brass alloy of various types, without creating some level of distortion.

This is why they are filed to fit. And of course, players like Knofler, who bend the strings sideways all the time, wear the frets out quite quickly, and the whole process needs renewing.

Setting up a guitar properly, to me, is like setting up the tappets on a Jag straight six, or a Lotus Cortina. You keep miking up the shims, fitting the cams and taking it apart and refitting different shims...........

A lot of patience and time but well worth the effort in the end.

Edit: This looks useful!

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-Electrics/dp/customer-reviews/0879302917

Further Edit: here is a very useful site, with a long thorough section on setup etc.

The site also has a forum with much useful information.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Setting up a guitar properly, to me, is like setting up the tappets on a Jag straight six, or a Lotus Cortina. You keep miking up the shims, fitting the cams and taking it apart and refitting different shims...........

A lot of patience and time but well worth the effort in the end.

[/quote]

Easy-peasy compared to a modern motorcycle, where you need at least three hands and multi-jointed fourteen-inch fingers...[:D]

You guys have got me seriously thinking about purchasing a guitar kit as a project........................

Well, in the 'shop, we always used to joke about advertising for a midget Japanese mech who was also a contortionist! particularly when doing engine work on MKII Jags and Cooper s!

Jag heads were a pig to set up, though, as you selected the "Correct" shims (Acid etched in - and + to denote half thous) reassembled and the clearance changed! Easier than Aston straight 6s, though: with these you had to grind the end of the valve stem down! Take off too much....................

Great idea as a project: have a look at the URLs I posted. You can buy blanks which are very reasonable and require full finishing.

The hardest thing is fitting the frets: using the template they will provide, it is only a matter of patience and time.

Bakelite (I spelt it incorrectly too![:$]), is or was a Thermo Setting Plastic.

It was thus used for moulding; classically, e.g. Radio Cases.

Scratchplates for guitars are invariably made from a sheet of plastic and profiled.

Having done a few, it's a pig! Mainly because when cutting out the profile, fretsaw, jigsaw whatever,it is impossible to avoid edge heating the plastic as friction heats the blade up and you get a sort of fuzzy finish!

And this requires very careful and laborious rubbing down to clean it up.

BTW, WMD Music http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/shop/products.php?category=351&page=7

do indeed list a bakelite sheet for a make your own scratchplate: but it's more than twice the price of the others!

I am tempted to do this as a full Fender "Spanish Electric" rep, the forerunner of the Esquire (complete with Bakelite pick guard), but I have also toyed with the idea, of doing a modern take on the single pick up Esquire, hence my visit to weldom to look at various sheets of polished metal, I will make up my mind soon!!

Having worked in F1 and the world rally championship, and a short burst in the music industry, I'd go with the musicians every time!!

Sir Stirling is a truely nice bloke, gave me hours of help on my last book, and didn't want a thing in return, and still very very quick in a car!

Yes Sir Stirling is a very nice guy; One of my main heros in the 50s. We had a very interesting correspondence a few years ago............

My own involvement was to F II. (Huron sweeping through Bottom bend- as we called it! - at Brands. Huron was designed by Jo Marquart, who then designed the GRD cars (Brise Bros).

Seems all the interesting Brits with taste have moved to France!

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/HuronBrands72.jpg[/IMG]

I'm green with envy for that drive!

Have a beer! [IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/greenbeer.gif[/IMG]

I am hoping to do a charity bash either end of this year or early next which culminates in my squirting an F I around a track for 15 laps or so. Last gasp for an old fart! Obviously it's an old one with a cooking DFV but will still have mucho grunt!

Peter Warr! Boy, that's one from the past.

Really? what F1 ? Your initials wouldn't be DB would they per chance?? So many questions. I currently write and present a motorsport DVD, wouldn't mind filming your F1 run?

How am I supposed to build a guitar with this distracton!!![:D]

If it's charity let me know maybe I can help?

Well I've decided to buy a guitar and get a kit for a winter project. I've bought an Ibanez GSA60 and 15watt amp and am very pleased with it. I need to limit my practices though because my fingers are sore. I've never used an electric tuner before, but what a revelation. No doubt I'll get my 'ear' back after a bit of playing................... Male Entertainer 14 

Steve, if you don't mind could you please reduce the size of your photo. Its causing a long sideways scrolling on this thread.

That's good news, BB.

The Ibanez is a nice box: very good flexible sound and good action.

Electronic tuners are neat! I use one in my Zoom effects box. Tuning forks and pitch pipes are now old hat!

Tip: dip your finger tips in surgical spirit each night. Hardens the skin and helps develop the "pads" on the tips you need.

Hope it goes well.

Gobsmacked, we've just been round to some friends for a BBQ. The subject of guitars came up in conversation and he quietly went into the bedroom and came out with an immaculate Fender Strat and Roland amp and started to play unbelieveable music. I had no idea that he had been playing since the age of seventeen (now 60) and was totally amazing to watch.

I feel very humble........................................................[:)]

BB , Picture? I 'd reduce the size if I knew how, so I'll delete it, I can do that!!

It's weird isn't it? I have worked with the producer of the Motorsport DVDs for 9 years, met him covering F1, and last week I found out he has a Strat and a 1962 Tele!!

Zoon fx boxes are brilliant, I got my son a Zoom GFX707, has a built in tuner, drum machine, can record yourself doing loops and play along, and 100s of effects. If only I were up to using them all!

I look smaller!!! Thank you, I'll adjust asap.

I may be waiting for the GP, just that now we're at the mother in laws in the UK, I may have to "watch it" on the timing pages from the official website, and imagine!!!

Off to the Knoffler site!!

Watching a genuine Esquire black scratchplate on Ebay, £4.99 at present, could be problem solved.