Camping Carnet

Having got our little snail ready for it's first brief foray I'm receiving conflicting advice as to the need, or otherwise, for a Camping Carnet.

The general concensus seems to be that it's not neccessary to have one but other opinions would be appreciated.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/EribaPuck.jpg[/IMG]

It's not necessary to have one but it can be useful, it saves leaving your passport at reception and you could get some discount at certain sites. I think it depends how many times a year you go camping.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Hi Coops, like wot gosub said but seems I'm living somewhat in the past (again) and it not as essential as it used to be so I think we'll just wing it [;-)]

[/quote]

Make sure that you don't leave the passport at reception that you may need to withdraw money etc.

We've camped all over France for many years staying at all types of campsites.  In every case, we've been asked for our carnet.

The average campsite reception can't usually be described as being overly secure, so imagine if your passport got lost by the campsite - or stolen?  Given the hassle you'd face trying to get a replacement, shelling out a few euros for a camping carnet would seem to be a no-brainer. 

Plus as mentioned earlier, many sites offer money off for carnet holders....

I have two (French) friends in this area who between them have owned campsites for 39 years. They wouldn't know what a camping carnet was if it bit them on the bum.

They do ask to look at a passport for passing trade i e off the street and not previously booked, but this is immediately returned.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Its been a couple of years since we last camped / caravanned in France but I dont remember EVER having to leave my passport at reception, anywhere.

[/quote]

I camped at Arcachon a couple of years ago and had to leave my ID (my carte de séjour in this case) at reception for the duration of my stay.  I don't know what Brits coming over from the UK did, but quite possibly had to leave their passports.