2009 Tour de France

Clair

Yes, I appreciate that it's done (2000 was the most recent occasion when it finished there, when Pantani was allowed to win the stage by Armstrong), but it must be pretty hairy for space up there, with all the entourage etc.

With it being the penultimate stage this year, I wonder how they'll handle the logistics of getting everything off the mountain and up to Paris by the following day?  Either there's two sets of kit, or they have a minimal entourage for places where space is tight and / or taking it down and moving it in time for the following day is impossible.   

[quote user="Starless"]

I've been finished up there meself. 

Starless[/quote]

The last kilometer's the worst [:(]

I've read that the teams will go from Avignon by TGV - about 3 hours? The bikes will be transported the usual way by autoroute. Might be a bit less time for the mechanics to do the daily checking and servicing, but as Gardian says, maybe they have a couple of sets anyway.

Actually, I think the smooth running of the tour year after year, with all it involves, is a major bloody miracle.[:)]

The last km is the worst, but in some ways it's also the best, 'cause it's the last [:)]

Fantastic climb, though, and what a downhill! It was the first TdF mountain I climbed since coming to France just over 3 years ago. I thought I'd done ok at the age of 50, but my friend, who did it with me, was 62. This was 3 years ago. There was a guy up there who'd climbed it 54 times that year.

Since then we've also climbed Le Tourmalet, and we've done a few of the passes in The Auvergne near Salers. I'd recommend that area to anyone for cycling.

There is a stage near us again this year. The Limoges stage, on July 14th no less, is fairly near, and so I reckon we'll be there for that one, even though it is flat. I'm looking forward to the finish on Le Ventoux. Although I think they are tackling it from a different direction to the one we took.

• 2 months later...
[quote user="Maricopa"]

[quote user="Editor - France Magazine"]Where do you think some of the best places will be to watch it en route?[/quote]

Unfortunately, until the detailed route is released, it will be difficult to say[:(]

[/quote]

Maricopa's comment is true, but generally, I'd say that there are three scenarios:

• the start or finish, cities or big towns
  • the mountains
  • en route

Options 1 or 2 (and particularly 2): nightmare crowds, ages to get there, ages to get away. By all means do it, but don't expect a stress-free time

Option 3: recce the route a few weeks before and sort out a few likely spots to plant yourselves, bearing in mind shade, access before and (particularly) exit after. Take a good book, plenty of fluids and a really nice picnic lunch.  Enjoy.  

• 2 weeks later...