Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

[quote user="plod"]Nobody seems to want to play at the moment [/quote]

[:D]I felt the same, which is why I'd more or less stopped posting!

Looks like Clermont have done the business in the Top14 - Montpellier are 8th, ending the season alot less impressive than they were at the start - still, roll on next season!

Interesting match on sunday on local FR3 (don't know if you guys can get it - depends on region) ProD2 with Toulon - can't remember the other team, but I'll be watching with interest as Toulon will be joining the Top14 next season.

edit: what do you guys think of the "proposed" new rules that have been tried out in Aus? Had an interesting discussion on another forum about it. Some people think it's going to diminish the advantage of having a strong pack (which is probably why Aus think it's a good thing[:D]) and that we're heading more and more towards league rules. The one I think sounds ok is the hands in ruck rule which will be easier to ref, and may result in a bit of good scrapping!

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple which seem worthwhile - the quick line-out and the restriction on a player kicking direct to touch if the ball is passed back to him into his 22. I am not over keen on the rolling maul which seems almost impossible to defend legally. As for the rest the game in the Northern hemisphere is strong and there are plenty  of tries so I would leave alone.

Sounds like a pretty ground out win in Kingsholm plod and with 71 tackles from the Glaws in the first 30 minutes it was probably the most physical game they have played all season.

My jury is out on the rules still but they seem hell bent on reducing the pack impact at srcumdown. I dont disagree but I'd much prefer to see the ref given better aids for decision aking as there have been some howlers this season. The TMO should have a greater involvement than just s disputed try.

Munster were beaten yesterday but by all accounts the ref missed a blatant obstruction which gifted a try to Glasgow. Its these howlers which need to be sorted out especially at this time in the season when a win could mean a fortune lost for next year and so on.

Leicester are extremely fortunate to be in the play-offs, Sale must be really disappointed to lose to Irish. I think we should beat Leicester and I fancy Bath might do Wasps. Don't you think reffing decisions even themselves out. We looked to be deprived of a try yesterday.

[quote]

plod wrote:

. Don't you think reffing decisions even themselves out.

I've always said it's swings and roundabouts.
I missed the Toulon match as we had loadsa people round.  [/quote]

I've heard this before and probably even used the same expression but the answer is NO it doesnt go round and come round. For a ref to miss a blatant obstruction is bad enough but there are more than this one isolated incident every season and it costs clubs a fortune. The difference between winning a game (as Munster were doing against Glasgow) and losing the match can mean many many thousands of lost revenues. Imagine 2 clubs battling it out to avoid relegation from the GP and the ref produces a howler. One team, who were winning and would have stayed end up beaten by a point or two and get relegated. How much would that cost them.

Just take a look at this for terrible ref decision making http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZUc__B9kQ the blokes reaction is good too [:D][:D]

I'd probably be feeling bad if Glaws had suffered from a poor decision but I'm not sure what you can do about it save ensure that refs get training and feedback, and, if necessary, are demoted from top games. I still feel that somewhere along the line Munster will have benefitted from a bad decision. In the case you showed I didn't think it was that bad. The penalised player killed the ball and was "choking" the tackled player. It was a clear penalty but in most cases the ref would have reversed it for the retaliation. Probably would have been a sending-off as well, but he wouldn't be the first player to only get carded for a punch. (I'm plod by the way on my wife's log-in!)

Mmmmmmm - Think I prefer the foxyloxy25 version [;-)]

The vid clip was just to show how variable the refs are. A direct punch is a red card offence these days. Period. Yet ..................

Munster wont benefit from having lost to a try that should never have been and nor will they be the last unless the IRB looks at the problem for refs. Most refs are seriously good and honest guys and I'd personally hate their job but the pressure to achieve is so great for the clubs/players that one slip could have a major impact. Anyway, its a rumbling on argument.

Still prefer the foxy girlie one though

What about raindog -  you gotta lovely wee lassie title too.

Anyway, congrats to the Glaws. I think given their performances this season they truly desreve what they have achieved and so I hope there are a few sore heads around Gloucester this week.

Morning raindog - do you mean me [;-)]

Rugby's a funny auld game but the gafs from the refs are getting wosre and much more common. I dont agree with having a go at the ref as you see regularly in football, but I do understand the frustration that players must feel. In the vid clip the ref was out of order. Sure the guy tackled a little high and didnt release the man but the punch was a red card offence, the ref gave a sin bin 10, and the reaction of the commentators and crowd is enough to let you know how off the mark he was.

Anyway, the new rules wont change the pressure refs are under nor will it change the pressure clubs, players and coaches are under and this is where the problems stem from. As plod rightly points out, look at the games that Professional players are playing these days especially GP guys. Cant be good for them nor the sport.

I'm a bit worried about Glaws v Leicester; it's a one-off game and we know how they can end up. We are better than them this season but I saw the job they did against Wasps in the EDF semis and they can raise their game. Mrs Plod doesn't know about this!

Yes Renaud thats a terrible terrible blow for the lad and just when things were looking up for him. Hope for the best for Cipriani and maybe he'll recover quicker.

Plod - duh dunder head - I've just re-read your post and put it together with the result from the playoffs. Ryan is fuming and I guess he's every right to be mad. Kind of bitter sweet pill I guess.

[quote]By all accounts we should have won and all they needed to do was keep Leicester at arm's length for a couple of minutes. Ah well. It's only a game. [/quote]

At the risk of repeating myself

[quote]Now I know that you dont mean a word of that  [;-)] [/quote]

But to get that close and gift it away, as it would appear, must hurt the players and coaching staff like hell, not to mention the financiers and sponsors too.

Basic TV? It's on France2 - can't get more basic than that.

Won by the forwards. Great game to watch though spoilt by Fabien Poulouse complaining about the ref at the end in interview and at least 2 Toulouse players refusing to shake hands.

Basic TV - raindog is Ulster terrestrial stuff - UTV, BBC N.I. and the like - not even French TV yet. Its on the To Do List [:)]

Anyway, the result was the right one. I've been reading and listening to it several times and there is no doubt that Munster contained them well and frustrated their pack. Pelous's kick was stupid and even he recognises it was Yellow Card. Illegal use of the boot - end of. Mind you Quinnie should go into acting now that he has retired.