Kauto : Will he do it again?

Boxing Day has finally arrived and I'm about to settle down to my delayed post-Christmas King George afternoon. 

Can Kauto Star make it 5  and beat Dessie's record?  In some ways I kind of hope he doesn't but there's nothing like a truly great horse to warm the cockles.   Should be some race.

Good luck to him, and let's hope everybody comes home safe.

[quote user="DerekJ"]I don't follow horse racing as such, but will watch it occasionally on the tele.  However, I do try and watch Kauto Star as I once spent a few very enjoyable hours with Kauto's owner, Clive Smith, on the golf course.
[/quote]

I take it then Derek that you won?

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="DerekJ"]I don't follow horse racing as such, but will watch it occasionally on the tele.  However, I do try and watch Kauto Star as I once spent a few very enjoyable hours with Kauto's owner, Clive Smith, on the golf course.

[/quote]

I take it then Derek that you won?

[/quote]

Not exactly Nick. I was caddying for him.  Since my (early) retirement I've done a bit of caddying and gone round with quite a few interesting people. Clive was very polite and pleasant and it was a good day spent with him.  Actually he ended up making a few phone calls whilst we were out as he was in the middle of selling one of his golf courses.

Not a good day for Kauto though... he never looked that comfortable from the off to my untutored eye.

Good race - but not for Kauto Star. Seems that the stat about P. Nicholls having only 10 winners from previous 36 runners was relevant after all.

Imagine though how much better Long Run would have gone with a professional jockey. [6]

John

Interesting that Ruby said PN always vaccinates in Jan and that it's often not his best month.  I have read that horses can react negatively to flu jabs but have never noticed it in mine as of course they're never expected to work quite as hard as KS is!

I have a lot of respect for Sam as a rider and good for the family - it's their bloomin' horse.[:)]  Good race and I'm glad Dessie's record has only been equalled, not bettered.

Depends on the odds. MM has gone out to 5-2 from 7-4 after Ascot and I suppose that we can expect these to shorten on/before the big day so might be worth a shilling on him now. Also RW should be on board and he knows the horse much better than AP. But though I watch proper racing whenever it is on the box (ATR mostly) I keep my pennies in my pocket.

John

I'm still suspicious of PN's overall form - I'll wait to see if it picks up before putting my hard earned on such a short priced horse (not my thing anyway as my betting budge it £100 a year[:D].)  I didn't back him last year and won't again.  I've got 3 years' worth of "free" bets left from last years' festival profits so I'm not that worried anyway.  Like John, in the main I just enjoy the sport for its own sake (although I do understand the reservations of some in animal welfare terms) and add a bit of extra spice for the big meetings.  Broadly, I reckon it's good for the sport to have these superstars about but Big Bucks (I refuse to use that awful grocers' apostrophe[:-))]) is the only sure thing - if such a thing exists in a sport involving flesh and blood animals - imho.

Rated 22lbs higher than Two Kisses thus not much to beat - but that is hardly the horses fault. He (?) won easily so how much did we really learn? Cheltenham will/should be faster ground with better horses and doubtless Willie Mullins has 20 or 30 good ones in his yard.

John

[quote user="cooperlola"]Big Bucks (I refuse to use that awful grocers' apostrophe[:-))]) is the only sure thing - if such a thing exists in a sport involving flesh and blood animals - imho.[/quote]And having said that last week, he now appears to have real competition in Grands Crus.  How impressive was that?