honeysuckle hedge

margie

Garden centres near us have very little in at the moment. Their stock is strictly seasonal and the season for planting shrubs is I think around April. Bigger bushes and trees Oct.-Nov.So if you wait a bit you might get some locally. Pat.

[quote user="Patf"]Garden centres near us have very little in at the moment. Their stock is strictly seasonal and the season for planting shrubs is I think around April. Bigger bushes and trees Oct.-Nov.So if you wait a bit you might get some locally. Pat.
[/quote]

I bought two plants in France a couple of years ago. The first year they did very litle, now they are really going well.

I just hope the wife's Jericho's Trumpets and what's that purple stuff that looks like bunches of grapes called, grow as well.

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

[quote user="Patf"]Garden centres near us have very little in at the moment. Their stock is strictly seasonal and the season for planting shrubs is I think around April. Bigger bushes and trees Oct.-Nov.So if you wait a bit you might get some locally. Pat.
[/quote]

I bought two plants in France a couple of years ago. The first year they did very litle, now they are really going well.

I just hope the wife's Jericho's Trumpets and what's that purple stuff that looks like bunches of grapes called, grow as well.

[/quote]

Do you mean wisteria?

I should have been more explicit Honeysuckle hedging is Lonicera nitida and not the normal honeysuckle. I have looked on the above site but they do not have this variety in the hedging section. many thanks for the address all the same.

[quote user="tenniswitch"][quote user="Ford Anglia"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you mean wisteria?

[/quote]

That's the stuff: I can only ever think of Fuchsia or Forsythia. I know it's called "Glycine" in French........

Glycine - so that's what it's called.  OH wanted some to train over a pergola I built and I couldn't find any.  OH then expressed doubts if said pergola could take the weight - to proove it could I did chin-ups (OK 1 chin-up) on the widest span.  If it can take my not inconsiderable weight then no plant is going to bring it down!

If you need a lot of hedging plants then the pepinières will probably do you a better deal than the garden centres, many will have bare-root stock, though you should really have planted it early winter.  It is easy peasy to root from cuttings, by the way.

Lonicera nitida makes a great barrier hedge if you want to block something from view.  If you search for it on the forum you'll find I'm always recommending it!

You can also cut it into wavy shapes as it's a bit boring unless you're trying to create a giant form of french formal box hedging.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/garden/wavy_hedge.jpg[/IMG]

This hedge is, I admit, in a strange place and serves no purpose whatsoever.  I think the old owner used it to hide his woodpile from the dining room window and the rest of the back garden.

It is, Tres.  I wanted to hoik it out but Jude would not let me, so I cut it wavy instead.  Actually, it now makes a nice little area (behind it) for boules.  I have finally won the argument over moving the concrete pylon clothes lines (not shown), though!