Are the plants going nuts, or what?

tenniswitch

After our incredible April, most plants seem to be at least 2 weeks in advance of normal.  So we have a bumper crop of wild poppies blooming with the iris (we're very selective weeders), clematis in bloom, peonies in almost-blooming bud, roses, cherries beginning to color and raspberries beginning to show very tiny, green fruit. 

The muguets are scarcely over.

This is the prettiest spring I can remember.

Probably depends where you are in France - certainly here in West Dordogneshire the grass and weeds are going nuts - in fact  they are going more nuts than I can ever remember and I'm struggling to keep up with clients gardens never mind my own!!! Could be something to do with all the moisture we've had for two or three months! I just wish we could have several dry days in a row so I could catch up a bit.

Funny you should mention peonies - ours have been in full flower for a week or so except as usual they have been decimated by wind and rain and now are a rather sorry bedraggled sight which is rather sad but in answer to your question I would say "yes" this has been a bountiful Spring for most plants and shrubs but it would be SO nice to have a warm dry spell for a week or two. Maybe I should put away the hose and sprinkler that I got out several weeks ago - that should do it [:D]

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

After our incredible April, most plants seem to be at least 2 weeks in advance of normal.  So we have a bumper crop of wild poppies blooming with the iris (we're very selective weeders), clematis in bloom, peonies in almost-blooming bud, roses, cherries beginning to color and raspberries beginning to show very tiny, green fruit. 

The muguets are scarcely over.

This is the prettiest spring I can remember.

[/quote]

Clematis Montana finished flowering three or four weeks ago (and a couple of others that are supposed to be 'mid' season finished two weeks ago) Iris, all finished, Peaonies, dead and gone, Roses have flowered prolifically but more recently have been making the compost look very pretty.

Spring was pretty, but it was a way back.

Come on Tenniswitch, you live in Northern Scandinavia don't you?[:-))]

Add your location to your profile, TW! You know it makes sense. [:D]

There was a thread about wild poppies the other day - they're about a month ahead of last year, but got badly beaten up by the rain yesterday.

I read a piece in the local rag at the weekend to the effect that the cherries, which were ripe and ready to be picked, got hit by the rain 10 days ago. Loads have rotted, hence high prices.  I bought a few at €9.80 / kilo this morning, but wish I hadn't bothered.

Still, my flageolets and cherry toms are going away like hell. My Muscat vine fruit is well set and it's all downhill from here .......... till the next thunderstorm!  

Two weeks ago out in the Orne at our house I noticed the tiny green fruits already "set" on the peach tree and the redcurrants.  It was lovely to see the wild violets and cowslips flourishing beside the stream in the lane, although of course they were nearing the end of their season when I was there, but the poppies and daisies in our "jungly" meadow were just beginning to peep through as we left.   Personally I am keeping my "jungly" meadow as it is, except for a bit of essential trimming after seeding  because we are going for authentic after 18 years of establishing our suburban paradise in UK.  One thing I don't enjoy is mowing having got rid of the lawns here - it takes 4 hours with the power driven mower to hack down the patch in front of the house, however it will be bliss when our tractor is ready to be shipped out next month and I won't have to crucify myself with the Briggs & Stratton ordeal again!   Hurrah!!!

So far picked 3 lots of strawberries but have to be quick before the birds/snails get them. Just emptied a bucketful of  bits of walnut shells around the plants, hopefully to keep the snails at bay. Runner/haricot bean and pea plants doing well but parsnips and carrots a bit of a disaster this year.

Regards

Well this is my first spring here...and I've been so taken aback by the speed of the growth in all areas of my land and garden...that we've had to get a gardener in to help.

The grass in the goat's paddocks went from easy for them to keep down...to eighteen inches high in no time at all...and took my husband days to mow...and take to the tip.One moment the cherry tree was in full blossom...and the next it was loaded with beautiful ripe red cherries...and within a day or two they'll be gone.The elderflowers are blooming a month earlier than in Norfolk...so I've made four litres of elderflower champagne already.And the roses are stunning.

All the flowering trees have been awe inspiring...I thought that England was heavenly in spring...but I think France takes a lot of beating...magic!

Effie

The rapeseed was very early this year. I have pictures of it in May of last year, and this it was gone by April.

We planted our tulips too late though (in March) and they have just finished flowering now, 2 months after everyone else.

However, our iris has yet to flower, despite the fact we bought another one which has just finished flowering :(