Wisteria plant

Lindnarden

I have managed to grow a small wisteria from seed this year - it is now about 8 inches tall in a pot on the window ledge. The leaves are now turning yellow but what I don't know is whether it is hardy enough to make it through the winter outside or should I put it in the bar / in the house / in the dark / post it to my mother in law in Durban......??

Any advice gratefully received

chhers [:D]

We also live in Haute Vienne and have wisterias bought as plants and find them very hardy.We put one  supported on re-inforcement iron  bar  we built as a frame work to eventually give shade on the terrace and after 4 years it has developed a very thick stem which would support itself whenever the iron rusts away.

The shade is good enough to sit outside in the hot summers -if they ever return!!!!!!!!!!

We took some cuttings and dug out bits of root when cutting ours back for the winter.Seems to give the tree a whole new lease of life too.Back to cuttings,they seem to be going from strength to strength now and our friends are quite happy with theirs so far too.

House is in H Vienne and hard winters don't seem to affect it unduly.Mind you the tree must be fairly old, as has quite a large trunk now.

Our neighbour across the way,says that the last two years have been great for flowering since we started pruning back hard too.

Maybe cuttings would be better than seed?Not sure on that as my knowledge of  gardening/trees is v limited[8-)]

Johnnyboy

PS If only I could work out how to post photo with this,would show ours off!!

• 6 months later...

On searching for advice about how to take cuttings of wisteria I found this thread.

We took a cutting of a non flowering stem from the joint so I hope that this will come to something?   Have any of the previous posters had success this year with their cuttings, and did/do they flower?

Many t hanks

wisterias grown from commercially obtained seeds will flower - eventually!

Layering is usually more effective than cuttings, but both will do well when rooted.

Wisteria is a forest plant, I believe, and as such it flowers when it gets to the top and bends over. This can be simulated by hard pruning.

Patience is the thing though - it can take years for a seedling/small plant to flower! (running the lawnmower too close and cutting the blasted thing off at ground level several years on the trot can make the process longer. Trust me, I know!)

We put one in three years ago in October. Two years ago, I was over for a month in April, watered it daily when it didn't rain, and it grew LOADS of leaves and some twining stems, which I gave support.

When I went again in summer, it had lost the most part of it's leaves, and the twining stems were brown and dead.

Last year it did virtually nothing, a VERY few leaves.

This year it has a few more leaves, but still looks unlikely to grow any bigger.

It is planted about 18" from a SE facing wall, has access to water, and gets the sun from early to around midday, after that it's a bit shaded by a large walnut tree.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Meanwhile, ANY honeysuckle I put in, and my buddleia, have all gone rampant!

The wisteria should be pruned back hard around Christmas - leaving just two buds on each stem. The long whippy growth can be trimmed back in the summer if you like as it is a very fast grower and you don't need these long shoots for flowers. Cuttings or layered new plants should flower more quickly I think - but some never flower - my sister gave me a ten year old plant from Wisley and ten years later I dug it up as it had never flowered. Try some seeds too though - if you get flowers in fifteen or so years time you will be pleased - if not you will have had the greenery. PB