cutting back the plants for the winter

osie

Without getting too technical would it make sense for me to cut back all of the roses, lavender, shrubs, flowers, and trees at the moment.

I have already snipped the roses back, am about to cut all the lavender, and will do the hortensia in Feb(I hear they prefer it then).  I will also cut back any branches that are either dead or over growing.  Also the pampas grass should also be cut right back.  Oh, and split the iris roots in half.

My understanding is that plants like this and the winter is a good time to do it.  Also, that the plants energy can be focused on the main part and roots.

Would you say in laymans terms that this is pretty much what needs to be done.

Thanks

osie

Pampas grass is at its best now and should be left until next year.

You can cut most stuff back once the leaves have gone but not right back. Leave hard cutting,  'just above a bud' until the spring.

Anyway, It too bl**dy cold to be out in the garden..............get indoors and get the fire lit........[:D]

The plan is to pop out every now and again and hopefully next year there wont be so much to do... and one day I will actually enjoy it(dream).

I just remembered that next year I have to parade round the grounds with 15 litres of weed killer, again.. ahhhhh

Thanks for the great advice...

osie

According to GQT (Gardeners Question Time) The current thinking is to cut roses back hard in November as it protects the roots from damage caused by the plant swaying in the wind.  Also it makes not one jot of difference if you cut to 'the third outward facing bud' or whatever the rule was and just straight across at say 30cms above ground.

Hortensia best done in late Feb or March as the foliage and dead flower heads protect from frost.

Hi Osie,

Pruning of Lavander and other late flowering shrubs is delayed until spring in the UK. This is because soft re-growth and cut stems would be damaged in the cold. Way down south this is not a problem.

Otherwise the general rule is "prune after flowering". Iris germanica are best split immediately after flowering too.

Having been carefully trained in the black art of Rose pruning I was applalled when the Rose Society proved that a hedge cutter was just as good! I like to cut back by about half to prevent winter wind-rocking then prune again once the frosts have gone.....call me old-fasioned!

OK - you're Old-Fashioned!!

If I can't prune it with a 2-stroke hedge cutter or, in extreme cases, a chainsaw, I don't grow it [:D]

Well, not really but nearly.

After the wonderful GQT/Rose Society pronouncement I did a bit of experimenting - careful snipping vs industrial trimming.  The rose that was hedge trimmed did rather better than the other!!