CAT PROBLEMS

hakunamatata

Maybe this should be in the animal section but I dont want to upset anybody!   We have too many visiting cats in our garden and we cannot understand where they are coming from because we only have one neighbour who has a cat!  The problem is they are howling outside the bedroom window at night and prowling the garden during the day especially around my bird table.  I need advice on a good deterent. As far as I am aware we have not plants in the garden which would attract cats.

Apparently they hate the smell of citrus fruits so leave the peel of your morning grapefruit scattered in the flowerbeds, also plastic bottles half filled with water laid on their side freaks 'em out[:)]and if your aim is good.......a water pistol[6]  they soon get the idea and move elsewhere! You could of course fight fire with fire and get a cat[:D]

I can remember staying in a cottage in Cornwall several years ago.  At night there was a regular gang-bang going on in the garden and if you looked out of the window you could see them all lined up yelling their heads off trying to attract a mate!  I knew females made a lot of noise during the deed but didn't know that, Judie. 

We have always neutered all our cats and they never make a noise.  But the neighbour's entire male does.

Yes, Cooperlola, all my many cats are neutered as well, with the exception of one male who lives with us, but is the most un male and ridiculously woossie cat in the world and runs if you even look at him. He is quite happy to come in and eat, groom himself etc, but I or nearly all the other cats look in his direction, he cowers and will run off if he get out of the catflap.He is my only failure and as he is so easily stressed, I am loathe to put him through the trauma of being captured to be operated on. He hasn't an ounce of testosterone in his body and is around all of the time, so I'm reluctant to do anything at present. If by any chance he ever gets up enough courage to say boo to a goose, then I shall whip him down to the vet's pdq.

• 2 weeks later...

I gota catapult and a dog and we saw the big ginger thing off a treat just before it got dark!

How dare it go into our summer kitchen?

The odd cat that dares to come into view in our garden treads VERY carefully and it is incredible at the acceleration they can aquire when a stone hits the bush a foot from where they are creeping!

The foot away is intentional. If I wanted to hit them then it would be their last day! It keeps them fit and awaire that they are not at the top of the food chain![6]