evergreen shrubs for holiday home

Mme poivre

We have a two meter space in the border of our front garden we would like to fill it with some evergreen shrubs or similar, but somthing that will survive if we cant get over as often as we would like. They will be near my olive tree as well [:D]

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  We are in the Vendee.

judith

Choysia (sp?) are lovely.  A rounded bush with glossy leaves and orange smelling flowers.  There are different varieties to suit different heights/leaf shape.  I also love Hebes but the larger leaved ones can be a bit frost tender, in my UK garden I had 27 different Hebes but the choice here in my bit of France is quite limited.

One of my favourites is Euonymus, lot of different ones but all are usually variegated, lowish growing up to 50cm and very tough. These would not crown out your olive tree. If you want taller how about Viburnum (lots of different ones, some evergreen and some not).

I also suggest you take a look over the neighbours' fences next time you're in your holiday home. That way you will see what thrives in the area and also what might be in flower when you visit.

Liz

The cotoneaster is very nice, and gives good ground cover. I love eunymous, which I have lots of; 'Emerald Gaiety' and 'Silver Queen' are my favourites. They form good size bushes, and if by a tree or fence, they can climb up, so giving some height, but are very amenable to hacking back if needed. Choisya is lovely, with shiny leaves and fragrant white flowers. They can grow qute tall if wanted, or trimmed back to keep under control. Ours are all on their second flowering in UK. Hebes have been mentioned; smaller-leaved ones would be sensible. Cistus (I like corbariensis and skanbergii) are drought resistant. Fatsia Japonica also thrive in our garden in UK; big shiny leaves, can grow tall, but again can be easily cut back when ncessary. Laurier rose are tough as old boots; we have one in a pot in the south of France, and it's very tolerant of being neglected. They can get quite tall and leggy, but seem to thrive when chopped back as and when. Of course, rosemary and lavender also need little care.

None of those mentioned will need much care, and when cutting back is needed, ordinary secateurs will usually do.

Jo

I have found with Fatsia Japonica that it loves water as the leaves I think need it. Has anyone else got one out here in france, we have and as I said it loves water but does not look to good if left to dry out and as they said they can't get out all the time so no guaranteed water.

I can't comment on any of the others as I don't have any but I still think the fatsia would need regular water.

Cheers

Re: fatsia japonica, I put it on the list as French friends have one in their garden down in the Drome, where it's hot and dry. Not much watering is ever done.

After reading Thebiga's comment I checked it in my RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening. The first thing I saw was it was on the moist shade list , so I thought I'd better log on and apologise. However, it's also on the dry shade list, just above. Those I've said about are not in the shade! - however, maybe it's a doubtful one for the purpose.

Thanks, Thebiga, for your comment.

Jo

We've put several agave in pots sunk into gravel between the olives with some house leaks that have begun to spread in a few places with a curry plant/rosemary and lavendar. We lift the agave pots out autumn/winter until spring as they're not keen on freezing and the wet but look good and are easy to maintain in between visits as are the other things.

Phlomus (?? yellow flowers) things with small greyish leaves everlasting wallflower bush, senecio etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all so much for the replies Sorry i have not said so before have had access issues.

We ended up with a rosemary and another plant which was given to us that has red and green leaves and yellow flowers, don't know what it was called but should only reach about 60cm high. I am thinking about a lavender but it would have to go next to the rosmary and i dont know about the scents mixing.

thanks again

Judith

Most silver leaved plants will tolerate hot/dry/non regular watering. There are many strains of lavender and in our French garden we seem to have planted a range which means that they are in flower somewhere all through the summer. Altea (hibiscus) also does well without regular attention (despite not having silvery leaves); PB