Difficulties getting a RDV to obtain a CdS

NormanH

So?

And if you are wondering why I am saying this, it is because my DIL and her mother needed new paper work, both french and it literally took months and months and months, including driving quite some distance. RDVs needed for the paperwork and collection of eventual cards.

French friends have been sent  far and wide for their new passports, into other departments to get paperwork sorted.

And so, back to my So?, why would any priority be given to forreners when the Prefects  cannot even be bothered to keep staffing levels up for ordinary paperwork for ID cards and passports for their own population.

About time the french started kicking up about this really. The government is taking the mickey.

"RDVs needed for the paperwork and collection of eventual cards."

That's the point. Those RDV have been impossible to get because of this racket.

Yet again things are very different in different places; I do get a little cross when people tell me smugly how straightforward the process is, which is why I posted that report to back up what I had been saying...

NormanH wrote : Yet again things are very different in different places; I do get a little cross when people tell me smugly how straightforward the process is, which is why I posted that report to back up what I had been saying ...

Quite so ..

You might find as time has gone past places where it was simple to get an RDV have now become more difficult. Apparently you used to do your citizen "test" at Carcassonne but that has now moved to Montpelier to release resources at Carcassonne for CdS.

Certainly when my father got his it was easy but then they didn't then have a system to make your RDV reservation online, you had to email for one. This may have now changed. Likewise you could just walk in and collect it when ready, no RDV was required.

The real problem that I noticed reading all the posts back then is the differences between departments or regions in the way you set about getting the RDV and what was required. One thing about getting myself sorted in Germany is it is the same whoever you go and that's what's on the central government website. No interpretation is required at a local level it is what it is.

You’re right GG ......... at least here in the Gard.

I haven’t bothered to go through the assache of applying for a CDS, but I was told today that applications here are being turned round. Basically - “Once we know what the hell is happening, we’ll tell you what to do - if anything”.

If applications from Brits aren't being accepted, it would be a regional policy not a national policy. Under French law, EU citizens are entitled to apply for a cds if they wish. However it's completely understandable why prefectures are fed up with the extra work Brexit is creating.

I can easily believe that people will operate the scam described in the OP if they can devise a way to do it, although I don't see how it would work if, as is the case here, the appointment is registered in the name of the person that made it. If you make an appointment for Jean Lebrun you couldn't then change it to a different name, and if on the day the official looks at his list of appointments and calls out "Jean Lebrun" then it would be no good going to the counter if your name is not Jean Lebrun because if your name is not on his list he won't process you.

Funny enough ET I was thinking the same. Actually when you think about it then it is a bit of a wheeze for those working there as they probably don't see anyone at all, you can image

Next, Mr. John Smith

He is not here but I am Fred Bloggs taking his place

Sorry your name is not on the list make another appointment and come back in six months.

Right all off down the bar.

It's just so.... well French really.

But the point is that that particular RDV time had been taken,  so is not available to anyone else, whether or not the person who turns up is the right name or not, or accepted or not.

The upshot is that none were  available for other people.

I accept that at the moment there is  another separate  issue about whatever will be required after Brexit if and when it happens, although I believe that there will be a relatively simple process of exchange for those who already hold a 10 year CdS