Your favorite Gite

Lori

Where was the nicest Gite you have stayed in (in France).  No need to name exact names, just a description of what it was like, where and why it is your favorite.

For us, there have been many nice experiences, but the most memorable is renting a house about 12 years ago in Bonnieux.  It was summer and the owners had decided at the last minute to rent out their family home, so it was fully furnished and all the family items were in place (though spotlessly clean and lovely).  A large two level home on superb grounds with a gorgeous pool.  Very private.  We paid what, at the time (for us), seemed like a fortune at 10,000 FF for a week, but it stays in my memory.

What about you?

Ours was way over in Haute-Saone, near Ronchamps - a former watermill in its own forest clearing down a long, winding track in the middle of nowhere. A rickety bridge over the mill stream on which to lie in the sunshine, river to paddle in, deer emerging from the forest, frogs plopping about, moles popping their noses out of the ground, a billion stars in the sky (no light pollution) and a vast fireplace for when the evenings grew chilly. Peace, silence but for birdsong and the splash of water. Can't remember how much we paid but it was very cheap. One year it was on the front cover of the GDF guide, it was that pretty. The last time we stayed there (I think 10 years ago now) the owner had just put it on the market at £110,000. We were too poor and it was too far away anyway, but I'll never forget it, it was magical.

• 2 weeks later...
For me, it was a villa just up in hills of Castlenaud in the Perigord Noir.  A fantastic villa, massive views of the Dordogne and Beynac, quality fittings and furniture and a general feeling of living like a millionare.  Unfortunatly it is now agent ownly - priced out of my reach.

For me it was a little water mill in Segrie (Sarthe, natch) where we always stayed for the race before moving here.  The owners had done such a beautiful job of restoring it, leaving all the original mill workings in place both upstairs and downstairs.  Such a peaceful spot, and so reasonably priced - even during a week when so many local properties are let at rip-off prices.  They are still good friends - he's a plumber/electrician so has been a great help too).