Dish Washers

Teamedup

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We stayed with a French family about 30 years ago. They had a dishwasher and I thought it was wonderful - the other half didn't agree though.

Then I had a pay award with some back pay and I decided - without her agreement - to buy a dishwasher. She was soon convinced. I am now on my third.

Over the years, I've been treated to some wonderful objections from friends and acquaintances:

- Doesn't wash as well as doing it by hand

- Can't deal with egg stains

- The salt attacks the glaze

- Uses far more water than doing it by hand

- You run out of teaspoons

But they all get one in the end. Like Dick, I think it's the best household appliance I've got.

Firstly. yes we do have a dishwasher in our gite. A family/group gite needs it.  Loading the dishwasher in the evening interrupts the flow of 'conversation' a lot less than half an hour with Marigolds.

But. If the kitchen isn't big enough... well the gite may be for smaller groups anyway.

And when I am on my own I may well wash up by hand for economy.

Not a gite owner, but at present renovating a holiday cottage in Normandy. We've now fitted the kitchen and the next item to go in is a dishwasher! We have one at home and wouldn't be without it. It does a whole day's dishes using the equivalent of one sinkful of water and the dishes are far cleaner.

If I were renting a gite I would want a dishwasher, even just for the two of us. After all, when I'm on holiday I don't want to do any more housework than absolutely necessary. We used to have a holiday cottage next to our home in Wales and put a dishwasher in it from the beginning (about 15 years ago now).  Believe me, the guests appreciated it and said so!

We too have a tiny kitchen but my plumber mate found me a small one (about the size of a lave-linge top) which copes well with the dishes from an average meal for 6 and with two of us is perfectly adequate for all the dishes/plates/cuttlery/mugs etc which we use in one day.  Then we put it on over night during the heures creuses - it has a delay timer built in. Excellent.

We have a dishwasher - we get good feedback from our visitors saying it did influence their decision. We have quite a large kitchen so no space issues. Personally, if I was in self-catering accomodation, I would prefer one! [:)]

As potential cutomers we only looked at gites with a dishwasher.

Now renting out a gite we would not dream of not having one. It is a standard item IMHO. There is a lot of competition out there unless you want to compete by being the cheapest.

Bill

I used to run a holiday cottage (gite) here in Shropshire and that had a dishwasher and I supplied the tablets, I think that 98% of people used it and the ones that didn't were the ones that didn't have one at home!

Now we have closed the cottage I have got most of what we need for our new holiday home in France and the dish washer will be one of the things that will be installed first or my 'other' dishwasher will not happy!! (he always washes up then we are on holiday)[:)]

Our biggest problem isn't filling it up or emptying it but SWITCHING IT ON!!!

Chipie

if money were no object, i'd have TWO dishwashers.  then i'd put dirties in one and, when the things are clean, i'd take the stuff out and use them as and when i need them without bothering to put them away in cupboards.  the dirties then always go in the empty dishwasher.  after all loading and unloading is SUCH a chore, n'est pas?

There can't be too many homes in the UK nowadays without Dishwashers, so why would they not want a dishwasher whilst on holiday? Having said that we are only just putting them in this year as we've had to re think what to do with the washing machines!

mitsi

spot on re the washing machine space!!! Our cottage had existing plumbing in the bathroom for a washing machine, so ours had to go there. I'm not very comfortable with this - but I just hope guests find it quaint, and very French!!! [;-)]

[quote user="alnmike"]Our cottage had existing plumbing in the bathroom for a washing machine, so ours had to go there. I'm not very comfortable with this...[/quote]

Why? That's where you get undressed for a bath/shower and where the laundry basket is usually kept...

I've always thought it very unhygienic to have dirty smalls/socks in the kitchen, which is where most washing-machines are in the UK (or you carry the laundry through the kitchen to the utility)

I wouldn't worry about the washing machine in the bathroom - we saw quite a few when we were househunting.  We're thinking of resiting our own there when we remodel our own bathroom (one day, one day), as the bathroom is big and the mudroom/freezer room/boiler room isn't!

TU - your Laurastar - is it one with the ironing board etc integrated?  They look pretty impressive.  What are they like to set up/put away? They've got one on offer for 449€ delivered.

I never rated vacuuming until we got a Dyson, shortly after they came on the market.  When we used it for the first time, as we went through the house there was a different coloured layer for each room, like one of those tubes from the Isle of Wight which are filled with layers of different coloured sand.  I experienced a previously unfelt sense of achievement!

Hmmm.  Just re-read this.  I really am becoming a sad old git in my forties, aren't I?

Cassis, I would buy one again. It isn't light, but I manage OK to open and close it, in fact it just open and closes like an ordinary ironing board. Ideally if I had a buanderie I would leave it up all the time.

Everyone said I was mad for paying that much, and that was 10 years ago now, but I have never regretted it. My husband buys quality appliances and tools for his woodworking/metal working, so why shouldn't I have something of quality too.

I get volunteers to do the ironing and it is quick as it does both sides at once on most things. It  doesn't leave shiny marks on fragile things either.

I am more than satisfied with it.

This has been a discussion point several times for my husband and I for our three gites, as I think we should look seriously at having them but my husband isn't keen. 

We have run our gites for nine years and so far, only one family said a few years ago that they would have liked a dishwasher, but as they have carried on coming each year it didn't have too much of a negative effect that there wasn't one.  Having read the thread, I realised perhaps how many people were not even considering us because of the lack of!

Husband's argument against is that, for a gite for six people, we either supply twenty plates, bowls, cups etc in each gite or expect renters to use it three times a day which he feels will be expensive. 

How do other owners equip their gites to take into account a dishwasher?