Gite heating and electric metres

Thebiga

Sorry, I cannot help with the first part of your question.

Regarding Kw allowance:

• I have never heard of a coin-operated meter in France. That does not mean they do not exist, but I have never heard of them or seen any.
  • On the basis of a normal meter, a reading should be taken on arrival and on departure.
  • Any usage in excess of the allowance is paid at the time of departure.
  • The kW cost must be shown in the T&C.

I'd suggest a storage heater. They are cost efficient as they utilise off peak electricity during the night for day heat release and many also have an option for a "top up" fan heat if required using normal tarrif electricity.

I too have not seen a coin operated metre in France but would be put off if anywhere I was to buy or rent had one. I think Clair's suggestion would be preferable.

"Acova" radiators are excellent, easy to control, they can be put on at short notice and used during the day.

I would be inclined to include a certain amount of kw's for free and then charge. This system is likely to make your clients more careful with the electricity.

Edit

As for "pay as you use" meters I don't know whether they exist in France. Assuming each gite has its own meter you could take the meter reading with the client when they arrive and check the amount with them when they leave. They then pay you for the extra kw.s used.

[:$] oops sorry

I realise that Clair has said all this in an earlier posting.

[quote user="Thebiga"]

One thing that I did not ask for was peoples opinion on what they would think about a coin operated metre etc (Eos) as being put off. I can not understand this forum sometimes that a thread can just turn into what people think about something, Whether they like something or not or just turn into a plain argument. It saddens me.

Please just stick to the questions and thats that. 

[/quote]

Ok in answer to your question,

Someone does know where to get a coin operated meter, - me!

I did know that some people give a certain amount of electric in the letting price and then charge. The only thing wrong with the pay for what you have used over this amount is that it does not stop somebody from having the heating on all the time and then you find that they left in the night at the end of the stay and you are then out of pocket. 

If this were to happen then presumably you would not return their damage deposit and you could take the money out of that, hopefully there would be enough to cover the cost.

[quote user="Thebiga"]

Thankyou all for your input about the metres and the radiators/night storage heaters etc..

I did know that some people give a certain amount of electric in the letting price and then charge. The only thing wrong with the pay for what you have used over this amount is that it does not stop somebody from having the heating on all the time and then you find that they left in the night at the end of the stay and you are then out of pocket. 

One thing that I did not ask for was peoples opinion on what they would think about a coin operated metre etc (Eos) as being put off. I can not understand this forum sometimes that a thread can just turn into what people think about something, Whether they like something or not or just turn into a plain argument. It saddens me.

[/quote]

Eh?  this is a discussion forum. No-one is dictating to you, ordering you or abusing you, no-one is arguing for or against anything. Some people are offering opinions in the belief that they may be helpfull to you.

To be very blunt, with an attitude like that, you might struggle to get any help at all in the future.

As for being left out of pocket with the meter reading system, unless you are heating your gite with a particle accelerator, the electricity bill is unlikely to be more than your security deposit.

12kw heating (4 x 3kw radiators) on full power 24 / 7 for a week will cost between £6o and £100 depending on your tariff. In reality, with thermostat controls, and assuming they dont leave the windows open, I would expect the worst-case figures to be closer to £20 - £30.

[quote user="dave21478"][quote user="Thebiga"]

[/quote]

Eh?  this is a discussion forum. No-one is dictating to you, ordering you or abusing you, no-one is arguing for or against anything. Some people are offering opinions in the belief that they may be helpfull to you.

To be very blunt, with an attitude like that, you might struggle to get any help at all in the future.

[/quote]

I can second that after having received a PM from the poster, they could have asked me where to get the coin meters from but chose to send an insult instead, I guess they wont be wanting my help then[:)]

A bit of gratuitous and unasked for information for the OP to show that I am a forgiving type - when I had a conversation with a French landlord friend regarding coin meters and recharging electricity consumption to tenants he told me in very strong terms that it was illegal in France to resell electricity so I would take advice if and when you do find the supplier of coin meters.

quote user="J.R's gone native"

he told me in very strong terms that it was illegal in France to resell electricity so I would take advice if and when you do find the supplier of coin meters.

I was about to post the same information but just saw that JR's already done so.  (though perhaps that put out the original poster as she didn't ask for that info!)

I too was advised that it is strictly illegal to sell on electricity... so all those who charge extra for electricity in their gites, based on consumption by the hirer, are in fact breaking the law. 

It is not illegal to charge people for electric consumption,many gite de france properties have such a condition ie meter read at start of stay with an allowance and any over consumption is paid for at end of stay.

What is illegal is to charge more than the EDF tariff for electricity

[quote user="Thebiga"] 

[/quote]

Let's not get into who's being argumentative.

In my years of rental experience it takes little to sway a client between properties of an otherwise similar standard. Again, in my experience, people generally do not like to rent properties with metres such as you mention. I guess in your case they will have to get past your attitude too. I won't try to help again.

This is an electric meter.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Czech-electric-meter.jpg/450px-Czech-electric-meter.jpg[/img]

This is an electric metre (below).  In fact, on closer inspection, it could well be two electric metres.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/complete/electricmetre.jpg[/IMG]

"I do not charge a breakage deposit so some could just up and leave after having the heating on all week and I would have no way of getting the cost of the heating back."

A lot of people who let out their property do take a security deposit and in this case it could be a useful thing for you to do.

Like I said, this is a discussion forum. We are discussing things. People will naturally give their opinions in any discussion, thats the way conversation works.

If you dont want to hear other peoples opinions - then dont read them. Or if you do read them, dont take a huff and moan about it. All you will succeed in doing is sounding ungrateful and rude.

Bear in mind though, there are a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable people on here who have been doing this a long time... they just might have some usefull information for you.