Shipping pool from USA to Brest

kathyg

Hi,

We're looking at shipping a pool from the USA. We've had a quote to get it delivered to us in Plymouth and then trailer it to Roscoff but it would be more convenient for it to be delivered direct to Brest which the shipping company will do, and then on to our house in Finistere.

So, has anyone done anything like this before? The problem we can see is getting it through Customs at Brest, does anyone know of any handling agents or how I could find out how to do it?

Kathy

Hello Hoddy,

There were several posts between my original one and Andyh4's post. I don't remember who they were from but I remember a couple of them were also making a point about spilling water on the way. Also, my original post wasn't yesterday but Monday I'm pretty sure - all very strange!!

Kathy

Well how strange! Beginning to think I'm going crazy! No Tresco I'm not American, British through and through, well half-Belgian actually!![8-|]

BJSLIV - That link looks just about perfect, will have a good investigate of that tomorrow. Thank you!

Kathy

Hi Kathy

We bought a pool cleaner from America earlier this year, the cleaner cost just under one thousand dollars and  we had to pay 175 euros before French customs would release it. There were no other problems and we are considering importing a pool heater from there next year.

Tony

I see that a few people have investigating purchasing pool equipment from the US to install in France.

Speaking from the point of view of a pool professional, the main

difficulty I see with that is after sale serviceassumming that there

are no compatabiltiy issues. Fine for small pieces of equipment like a

Robot, so long as it is a cheap one, but for the more complicated parts

I would think that the lack of access to technical backup would put

anyone off the idea.

If your heatpump, or electric robot, or pump and filter set or what

ever were to devlop a fault, then you would be in direstraits to find

any technical assistance I would think. Certianly the full cost of

technical call out would be due if a client were to seek technical help

from a France based firm if they had not sold the equipment. This would

more than wipe out any saving which might be gained by on line shopping.

A pool can be a complicated beasty, and at times quite frustrating when

things don't go right with a number of pool funtions. The security of

having a Professional at the end of the phone to respond and fix a

problem promtly is a price worth paying unless you are technically

minded and have nothing else to do.

In my expereince, most people are interested in swimming in the pool/spa rather than working on it.

Similarly, Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Apart from the pool itself, the other equipment that we're thinking possibly of buying from the States is available in France anyway so shouldn't be a problem re spares etc.

We're still only exploring this possibility at the moment anyway, we'd much rather have someone come in and do it all for us. Are you able to respond to my pm/email that I sent last week?

Thanks,

Kathy

• 2 months later...
i recently had some goods delivered to brest from the usa 500 euros of goods two months later i received a customs billfor 170 euros so it wouldbe worth checking your customs clearance price as this is a high percentage and will put the price ofyour pool up severly if you are liable to the same percentage of clearance costs