E106 for 3 years +

Le 47

I wanted to make a comment/an addendum to the FAQ on E106s but it can't be done.

I have asked for and received a 3rd full year E106 plus 4 months from Sep - Dec 2003. I have been paying UK Nat Ins contributions during this time which may well be the reason for this.

I thought it was worthwile lettting others know that this possibilty exists.

Happy new year

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

We have just recieved ours this week in the post and yet it is only valid until the end of August this year.[*-)]

I know this may sound like a stupid question but this is our first one now we have it where do we go with it for the French side of things?

Thanks Sarah

I have to say, that none of the posts that state "We get 3, 5 or even 10 years with our

E106" is much use to others, unless one gives a full account and an explanation of how

this has happened. It really is not much help to anyone, unless your

exact situation and a full explanation from Newcastle is given.

Sorry but I just think it would make a far better post, if all was

totally explained and not just what length of time one gets. It has

long been documented how one can receive UP to two years with an E106,

anyone getting more than that, couldn't they, for the benefit of others, explain how and

why, one can get a longer period of cover.

[quote user="Miki"]
Sorry but I just think it would make a far better post, if all was totally explained and not just what length of time one gets. It has long been documented how one can receive UP to two years with an E106, anyone getting more than that, couldn't they, for the benefit of others, explain how and why, one can get a longer period of cover.

[/quote]

Sorry, you are right, not much use at all!!  [:$] In fact, I have no idea why we got an E106 for 5 years.................I won't post the fact again!![:)]

Regards

Chris

[quote user="Tillergirl"]

...where do we go with it for the French side of things?

[/quote]

You take it to your local CPAM office, along with proof of identity, address, birth and marriage certificates, a RIB and any other bits of paper you may have (no two officials want exactly the same things).

As far as the length of validity is concerned, I think it depends on your work status - if your move is in connection with employment, you can often be granted more than two years on E106. Two years or less seems to be the norm for those British citizens not working or seeking work in a foreign country. It used to be debatable whether E106 would be issued to people in work, but now the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) has changed things as far as E101/E128 and similar forms are concerned, E106 seems to be increasingly used to cover those working temporarily abroad for extended periods.

Now I wait for the (fully expected) avalanche of early retired saying that Newcastle gave them an E106 for ten years [:D]

[quote user="Chrisb"]

[quote user="Miki"]

Sorry but I just think

it would make a far better post, if all was totally explained and not

just what length of time one gets. It has long been documented how one

can receive UP to two years with an E106, anyone getting more than

that, couldn't they, for the benefit of others, explain how and why,

one can get a longer period of cover.

[/quote]

Sorry, you are right, not much use at all!!  [:$] In fact, I

have no idea why we got an E106 for 5 years.................I won't

post the fact again!![:)]

Regards

Chris

[/quote]

So why can't you find out, so someone else might be able to benefit from the way you were treated ? 

Now I wait for the (fully expected) avalanche of early retired saying that Newcastle gave them an E106 for ten years

If they do, it would be nice for those still in need of an E106 to have

the full story though wouldn't it Bill ? As you say and it was a fact

and not debateable, an E106 would not be issued to someone going to

France to work, for obvious reasons when you think about it ! Some

coming here, of course kept quiet (and still do) about what they were

going to do in France,  no need to say why in some cases but it

has been discussed on the Earning a living in France threads now and

again !

I think this is a bit like anything else benefit related......It all depends on your circumstances.

We received initialy about 15 months of E106, we left UK in August , when we had a letter from CPAM/ UK health benefits to say this was due to expire, we merely phoned Newcastle to question this decission and on looking at our Nat Ins payments for the previous tax year were given another 12 months of E106 .

Mrs O

[quote user="Miki"]...an E106 would not be issued to someone going to France to work, for obvious reasons when you think about it ! Some coming here, of course kept quiet (and still do) about what they were going to do in France,  no need to say why in some cases but it has been discussed on the Earning a living in France threads now and again !

[/quote]

Miki, when I first came to France the advice I got was that E106 was not the right form as I was intending to work - albeit on a temporary basis at first because we didn't know how things would work out. This was confirmed by Newcastle, who issued me with E101/E128 which seemed to suit my circumstances. I am of course now fully immatriculated in the French systems. So I would agree that E106 did not, strictly speaking, apply to workers. I remember posting something to that effect when answering a question and received several replies, including one from a person who probably knows as much or more about E forms and the French health system as anybody else, that I had been misinformed and there was no reason why somebody like me could not have had an E106 (this was also confirmed by a French accountant). So there we are. In practical terms it made little difference as far as I was concerned which forms I had - E101 had to be renewed after the first year and I got two full years May to May which might or might not (who knows?) have been a better deal than the E106 which seems to be issued according to calendar years, also I could have had a carte vitale with E106 whereas with E128 I had to pay for medicines etc and get refunded from CPAM.

I quite agree that if anybody knows why E106 entitlement is so different person to person, or what the key is to getting more than two years, they should share it with the rest of us.

William  as you are extremly knowledgable on most things a simply question hopefully.[*]

Where should I go to find out where the CPAM is do i go to the prefecture or a pharmacist?[*-)]

I know this proberbly seems like a stupid question but i dont know where my CPAM is.

After our 18 months was up I wrote to Newcastle specifically requesting an extension and just got the standard letter refusing further cover. Applied to CPAM to join in the fun of paying in future and received a new attestation today - brilliant!

What's next? Do we now get a request for the first payment from CPAM or from the Impots people (or someone else!)? No big deal but it would just be nice to know what to expect.

Thanks,

TG - Teamedup said exactly what I would have said. The doctor, pharmacist or your neighbours should know as well. The main town for your departement will probably house the main CPAM offices, but there will be satellite offices around in other towns.

"If they do, it would be nice for those still in need of an E106 to have the full story though wouldn't it Bill"

Fair comment Miki.  Mea culpa.

I have not worked in France at all during this period. I have worked in the UK (self-employed) from time to time which is the reason I still pay National Insurance contributions. When I applied for a further E106 at the end of 2005 (close to the end of  the 2 years and 4 months I had already been covered by an E106) I fully expected the application to be refused. I simply stated that my circumstances had not changed since my last application. 

If I work in France, which may yet happen, I understand that the rights given under the E106 will be invalidated as I will then come into the French social security system as a function of paying social contributions here.

I can add that when I first asked for an E106 I was told I didn't qualify and I should seek an E104. I then asked for the precise reasons for the refusal of the E106 and the name of the person making the decison to refuse the application and the name of any supervisor who may have 'controlled' the decision. I got my E106 within a few days. It was all done in writing and double faxed to Newcastle..

In Lot et Garonne we have only received an 'attestation de droits' which involves us in a bit more admin I suppose - CPAM point blank refused to give me a Carte Vitale when the rights saying the rights are under an E106 = no CV - hey ho.

If anyone has any specific questions I will do my best to provide an answer.

Although E106 is usually valid for up to 2 years, there are scenarios that can lead to E106 being issued for up to 5 years and very occasioanlly for longer than that.  For over 2 years it will be almost certainly, for the sake of a better term, a "working E106".  There has been some tightening up in this respect over the last couple of years.  So Chrisb do not, even in the public interest, enquire has to how you managed a  E106 for 5 years because that may cause the DWP to review it!

Regards

Peter Owen

[email protected]

Another way to find your nearest CPAM - go to

http://www.assurance-maladie.fr/portail.0.html - click on your region

on the map, the on the next page click on "liens utiles" at the bottom.

This takes you to a page of links, which should include a list of CPAMs

in your region.

Rob

Thanks for the advice, Peter,  which is pretty much exactly what I had decided, too.......................I'm not prepared to 'rock my boat' for the sake of others on this forum.

Just for info, though, my husband continues to commute weekly to the UK and pays UK NI and Tax contributions, however DWP were not aware of this when we moved over. I am sure that I merely said that we were moving to France, and please could I have an E106, and that is what arrived! 

Regards

Chris

***RobG, not everyone should have the CPAM as their caisse de maladie. It is not always the best first port of call.***

Hi TU

I am confused by your statement as I thought we all had to have CPAM as our caisse de maladie - I was not aware that there might be other options. We are filling in forms at the moment to have our income assessed for contributions to CPAM and would be interested in your reply.

Sue

If you are an Artisan for example, you will have to register with one of

the "health companies" that your trade is alligned to.

Hard for me to

explain better but,  if you have a "trade" and are registered with one of

the "Chambres" you would have been inundated with companies plying for

your money to be assured with them. Same thing for retirement as well.

In your case, your only choice is to go to CPAM, where it appears from

your post, you will be put with the CMU section and pay through URSSAF.