family allowance

Lhp

The local CAF office usually(Caisse d'Allocation Familial). You will need a signing off paper from Newcastle to say when the payments stopped, all your documents and a bank RIB for direct payment into your account and you will only get it for the second child onwards. Payment may take a couple of months to come through and it is possible you may get some of the months that you did not receive any from the UK. Without proof in writing from the UK you won't get anything I am afraid and they may ask for proof of income and health cover too.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Dotty0"]

What is the rate for family allowance and do you have to be paying tax in the French system.

dotty

[/quote]

The gin allowance ([D]) is around €115 per month for two little horrors, and this is not

means tested. You do need to be properly badged up with CAF, URSSAF,

etc to get the necessary social security number and have the document

from the UK confirm that you are no longer receiving child benefit

there, but if this takes some time they will backdate payments to your

arrival date in France. There are additional one-off payments one can

apply for children of school age to cover the cost of going back to

school, but reciept of these is dependent upon income.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.caf.fr/catalogueaf/f-af.htm says €117.14 for 2 children, €267.21 for 3 children then €150.08 for each extra child, €32.95 extra for a child aged between 11 and 16 and €58.57 for a child over 16.

This info used to be easily found on this forum but I looked earlier and had difficulty finding it so I thought it and the link was worth posting again.

[quote user="Debra"]

http://www.caf.fr/catalogueaf/f-af.htm says €117.14 for 2 children, €267.21 for 3 children then €150.08 for each extra child, €32.95 extra for a child aged between 11 and 16 and €58.57 for a child over 16.

This info used to be easily found on this forum but I looked earlier and had difficulty finding it so I thought it and the link was worth posting again.

[/quote]

The 32.95 euros extra for the child aged 11 to 16 is for the second child to reach that age, not the first ........

Mrs O

We arrived in France end Nov, phoned the CAF early in December, they sent out a form which we returned along with the confirmation from the UK that we were no longer receiving child benefit. We received the first allocation familiaie payment in early January. Much to our surprise, the system seems to have been remarkably efficient!

Rob

[quote user="Dotty0"]

Jond

Does the rate increase for  3 children.  I heard a rumor

that in France unlike the UK, you do not get anything for one child,

but having larger families, well, does it mean more gin?

Dotty

[/quote]

Dotty - sorry, I didn't see your question. I wasn't ignoring you! I

think others have covered pretty much everything, though. We have a

third brat on the way, and there are some additional payments in the

seventh month and for the very young (yippee! restock the wine celler)

and I can

give you details of these if they would be relevent.