Resident in France - getting healthcare in France and UK

newbiee

Could somebody help me with a few questions please.  I am now living in France and have an E106 for the time being.

How do I get healthcare in France, ie, if I need to go to the doctor for a minor ailment?  Do I need to register with a specific doctor (as in the UK)?  If so, how do I do this (I'm sure I'll need dozens of official documents and current facilies bills!!)

Are the medical records my UK doctor holds transfered to France? (they would be of little use of course as they will all be in English)  If not, what happens to them?

Am I entitled to visit the my UK doctor when I am in my old hometown?  Am I entitled to visit a UK doctor when visiting people in other parts of the UK?

I don't have any existing, or expected, problems - but it would be useful to know in advance what I need to do.

Thanks

You need to register with your local CPAM if you have not done so already.  Take along your E106 together with proof of residence (utility bill, rental agreement etc), your passport, and a RIB from your bank.  You may also be asked for two passport sized photographs if your CPAM is issuing the new photo style Cartes Vitales.  You will then be issued with an "Attestation" which confirms your affiliation to the regime generale for healthcare.  Depending upon your local office, you may or may not get a Carte Vitale issued for the duration of your E106. This is a convenient way of paying for your healthcare as any costs you pay will be immediately re-imbursed but it is not the important piece of kit.  Your atttestation is.

Download THIS form and take it along to the doctor of your choice.  You and the doc' fill it in then you send if off to your local office.  If you do not nominate a doctor, you will get a significantly lower refund from your CPAM for any treatment you may have.

If you do not get a Carte Vitale, you must ask for a brown "fiche de soin" every time you pay for treatment/drugs/dental care etc, and this must be sent off to your CPAM before any money you pay out gets reimbursed.  With a Carte Vitale the refund will be automatic, so long as the person you are dealing with has a card reader.

Don't forget you only get a partial refund, so if you haven't already, you may like to think about insurance cover for the balance.

EDIT : You must also apply to the DWP for an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), for the duration of your E106.  This will allow you to have emergency medical care whilst in the UK or any other European country.

Further edit : I never bothered with my medical notes from the UK as I had only visited my previous doctor twice in 30 years so they weren't exactly significant!  As you say, they are of limited use anyway as they are in English (unless of course you find an English speaking GP.)  However, I do believe that you are entitled to at least have sight of your own notes in the UK and possibly even to copies of them.  I should speak to your former doctor if there's anything you think may be useful to your French gp.

[quote user="cooperlola"]You could be right, Lisa.  Personally, when doing anything of this sort I take along every document known to man, as there is always some niggly bit of paper which is required that I would otherwise not have bothered with![/quote]

How jolly funny these Frenchies are about paying for our Health Care!

[quote user="LisaJ"]As I recall we needed birth and marriage certificates too.[/quote]Yes but you would need these only if you have a single E106 covering both (all) of you.

Before leaving UK and for a fee of £10 each we got copies of our medical records from our surgery. Our doctor here was very pleased to have them but she does speak perfect English.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="LisaJ"]As I recall we needed birth and marriage certificates too.[/quote]Yes but you would need these only if you have a single E106 covering both (all) of you.

[/quote]

We had seperate E106s but still had to produce certificates.  There is only one useful rule.  Take every possible piece of paper you can think of and watch them struggle to think of one you haven't got![;-)]

[quote user="Ninthace"][quote user="ErnieY"]

[/quote]

We had seperate E106s but still had to produce certificates.  There is only one useful rule.  Take every possible piece of paper you can think of and watch them struggle to think of one you haven't got![;-)]

[/quote]

Same here, but this is the Herault, and they really make you work for every single piece of paper here![:D][:D]

[quote user="rico"]Can you get a joint E106 or does it have to be seperate ones?[/quote]That depends.  If both of you worked just prior to moving you will get one each.  If one expires before the other, however, you can often transfer and "piggy back" onto the one which has any residual time on it, if you are classed as a dependent.

Generally, yes.  The possibility of dependents being included on your E106 is normally indicated on the form itself - so it's easy to tell.  If in doubt, then check with the DWP.  Those who are unmarried, or who have not been married for very long tend to have more problems in this regard.