European Helath Card for travelling outside France

Llantony

[quote user="ErnieY"]

My understanding, and feel free to correct me please, is that with a UK E106 the UK pays a set amount per person per annum to the French which implies that responsibility for the costs of your health care rests with them on a some you win some you lose basis. Logically therefore it seems to me that the EHIC should be provided by the French.

The dichotomy seems to arise when it comes to provision of care in UK. Is it really the case or the intent that, despite having paid a lump sum to a 3rd party for your care elsewhere, the NHS is still obliged to pick up the full cost of any treatment you might require whilst there ?  

[/quote]

And one assumes the Dutch do the same ..... after all, we are all governed by the same set of European laws and regulations, n'est-ce pas/nicht wahr/aren't we/is niet?

[quote user="Fi"].. after all, we are all governed by the same set of European laws and regulations, n'est-ce pas/nicht wahr/aren't we/is niet?[/quote]You are having a laugh aren't you [:'(]

Yes there are some common principals but within those each EU state is still entitled to apply it's own set of rules and qualifying criteria. Look at UK for instance where all you need to do to qualify for full free NHS care is be legally resident, then compare it with France where you need 5 years, and even then it's not exactly free.

Still don't understand why I can't get my card here.  [8-)]

By the way, I was having a small dig at the idea of all for one, and one for oneself (if you see what I mean).

My understanding as to the reason for this, Fi,  is that expenses for any treatment needed abroad are paid for by the country responsible for covering your health care.  Thus if you are using an E form provided by the UK, it is the UK who will pay if you get taken ill when on holiday.  That is why you must get an EHIC from Britain - so they pay, and not the French.

On that basis then Coops, and harking back to my earlier post then where I said:

[quote user="ErnieY"]Is it really the case or the intent that, despite having paid a

lump sum to a 3rd party for your care elsewhere, the NHS is still

obliged to pick up the full cost of any treatment you might require

whilst there ?  [/quote]

the answer is YES and therefore I, or rather we that is, could choose to return to UK for any treatment at any time whilst my E106 is in force.

The same applying to all other valid E106 holders also.

I apologise if someone has asked this question but we applied online for our french European Health Card and received it in December.  My husband is in receipt of an E121 due to being retired on an injury pension and being in receipt of Incapacity Benefit when we left the UK.  Does being in receipt of an E121 mean that we have to apply this year to the UK?

Thank you in anticipation

Suey

Hi Sueyh - In your situation you need a CEAM from France.

This quote from the DWP website specifically relates to holders of an E121. (age or invalidity)

"If you and any members of your family visit any other EEA country you will need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to cover any necessary medical treatment if you visit another EEA member state. You should get one from the sickness insurance authorities in the country in which you live. "

Source page HERE