Insect repellent, after-bite remedies, please advise

mint

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had another idea, SW17 - could some of the spots be prickly heat?

I thought of that because I've had it on my arms the last few days and it's driving me mad [:@]

There are lots of tiny itchy bumps. The powder treatment you made should work on it.

Suzy and Jo, desperate I might be but it'll still have to be no "smokers or Tories".....sorry!

Coops, that looks like a real neat contraption but, as we have to carry everything on our backs, I don't think it will be easy to carry it.

Thanks, Velcorin, I'm ordering drugs this evening;  amazing what you can get on the internet these days!

Coops, are you there, STP?

Just put a load of the stuff I need in my shopping basket with Chemist Direct but the postage was in excess of £15.  How do you manage to get all your things sent for a mere £7?

Just been able to answer my own question to Coops and I am posting to let her know and anyone else who is interested.

Chemist Direct now charge postage according to weight.  So, it's best to order high value, lightweight things like tick treatment for dogs and, of course, my range of anti-sting products and forget stuff like TCP which is low-value and liquid.

Hope that helps someone out there[:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Just been able to answer my own question to Coops and I am posting to let her know and anyone else who is interested.

Chemist Direct now charge postage according to weight.  So, it's best to order high value, lightweight things like tick treatment for dogs and, of course, my range of anti-sting products and forget stuff like TCP which is low-value and liquid.

Hope that helps someone out there[:D]

[/quote]Good to know Sweets.  I normally only order once or twice a year and last time they were still on £7 for the lot thing.  In fact I even got two 20kg bags of horse feed sent for that!  Pity they've changed - they were really useful.

Update specially for you, Coops.

I had to cancel my order in the end, after a couple of phone calls, etc.

The toothpaste I always used was unavailable and they just cancelled the toothpaste themselves so that I didn't have a choice as to whether I wanted to wait for it instead.

Then, I ordered Advantix for the dog (indeed MUCH cheaper) but they asked me to send them the prescription.  Now, where we live, ticks are a way of life and all dogs are recommended to be treated.  We don't have a "prescription" as such. 

It's in fact nearly an hour's drive to the vet and I just decided I'd try and get stuff here even if I have to pay more and the equivalent of things if I can't find the actual article.

After I took off the heavier items, the cost of postage would still have been £18.  If they'd had everything I wanted, I'd have gone ahead but, as they didn't have the 2 items which would have saved the most money, I cancelled. 

• 2 weeks later...

Half dozing in front of the TV this afternoon, I heard this gem:

Apparently you are more likely to get bitten by midges and other biting insects if your parents also tend to get bitten!

So, one more thing to lay at the door of poor old parents; they just can't seem to do anything right.

Anyway, I wish I'd been left with the legacy of being attractive to other human beings rather than being attractive to biting insects.

But, I have taken all the precautions:  midge head net purchased (thanks Bugsy), Vit B pills bought (thanks Pomier), DEET impregnated wrist and ankle bands to be delivered (thanks Amazon)

Have I forgotten anything else?

I think I also saw that (through a sleepy haze).

Another bit of info said that tall people are more likely to get bitten - midges and so on tend to fly at around 2 metres from the ground!

She seemed a very sensible and intelligent woman talking about this.

Just wondered if she could have put her education and common sense to some more worthwhile study.

[quote user="bubbles"]I think I also saw that (through a sleepy haze). Another bit of info said that tall people are more likely to get bitten - midges and so on tend to fly at around 2 metres from the ground! She seemed a very sensible and intelligent woman talking about this. Just wondered if she could have put her education and common sense to some more worthwhile study.[/quote]

My height (or lack of it) SHOULD let me off .........I wish!

And, Bubbles, right at this moment, I don't think enough money or time has been spent on this VERY worthwhile study!

Certainly, I am studying and reading up on the biting habits of mozzies, midges, horseflies, et al with some attention.

Pacha, THREE pairs definitely NOT an option:  for one thing, I don't think I can carry an extra pair of knickers in my rucksack, nevermind extra pairs of overalls![:(]