Tetanus vaccinations

WendyG

Hi everyone

Last had tetanus vac about 18/20 years ago.  Do a fair bit of gardening and wondered if I should get an update.

Does anyone know how I go about it?   Do I have to go to the Doctor or can I go straight to a Clinic?

Gong back to UK in about a month so maybe I should wait and try and get it done there.

Any helpful suggestions would be much appre3ciated.

WendyG 

Tetanus boosters should be given every 10 years.  In France they are often offered as a single injection that includes a polio and diphtheria vaccine. 

I had a tetanus booster about 2 years ago, and had to stomp my foot a bit to get just the tetanus vaccine jab (which I was obliged to have, and probably needed) and not the polio and diphtheria vaccines.

If you do a lot of gardening it makes sense to get the tetanus booster.

I asked for one in the UK before I came over here and my doc' told me that if I had had three in my lifetime then that was now considered enough!  I'd never heard of this before and asked my doc' over here and she happily gave me one - she had not heard of the three jabs and you're out thing either.[8-)]

The UK GP is more or less correct Coops, usual course of three jabs as an infant, booster at age 4, then booster at teenage is now considered enough for lifelong protection against tetanus.  That is actually 5 jabs in all and not 3, but adult boosters (routine or as a response to injury) are not considered necessary. 

We got ours done many years ago here free at the Socio Médico office in town who give jabs for all sorts of things to anyone and its all free or it was. Must admit we havn't had tetanus jabs for more than ten years either and always remember a fire officer friend of ours saying its not the old rusty things that are dangerous but you are more likely to catch it from newer metalic rubbish you can encounter when gardening or working outside etc.

A couple of years ago I stood on a rusty nail which went nearly through my foot! I hobbled to the pharmacy in our village to ask for advice. He gave me the tetanus injection pack and told me to go to the doctor to get it injected and then get the prescription and come back with it! That's what I call  expediency!