EHIC / CEAM

idun

I was at the hospital the other day and they had a big notice up at the reception stating that people had to show their EHIC if they were non residents.

Also I was on the phone to Newcastle re EHIC/CEAM's  and spoke to a Manager, (our situation is complicated). He said that things were being tightened up and that non residents were now being targeted and that it may take some time for all Drs and dentists etc to know the new rules, but they were on to it.

There will be implications to this, especially as there is the six month rule for people being out of the UK, according to him. I suppose that for pensioners it would be OK, they'd just have to sort themselves out, but for anyone under pension age with a second home and that could become far more complicated.

Seems fair enough.

I hope the French authorities will follow suit and tighten up on those over here trying to get away with using a EHIC card while being resident (and often not declaring their income either)

The main problem for those resident here and covered by the French system is to remember to renew the CEAM every year, as it is only valid for one year, unlike the EHIC which I believe is for three.

That is one European  anomaly I don't understand.

[quote user="NormanH"]The main problem for those resident here and covered by the French system is to remember to renew the CEAM every year, as it is only valid for one year ... that is one European  anomaly I don't understand.[/quote]

Simply because we who pay into the French system have to ask for cover each year ... demonstrating our ability annually to be able to support ourselves so we can qualify to be covered by the French Health Service. Consequently, as our health cover only lasts a year at a time so the CEAM validity only lasts a year at a time.

Sue

Except that as I am retired I have cover until 2024 by the CPAM before I have to 'renew'. Logically my CEAM should also last until then in that case [:)]

And when I worked I never had to ask for cover it was renewed automatically as long I continued to 'côtise'

Norman, the thing that always amazes me is how surprised people are that they need their EHIC when they visit the UK, when they reside in France. "Oh but we're british they say" yes but you are not in the british system anymore! (or perhaps should not be.... but we won't go there eh!).

Suey

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="NormanH"]The main problem for those resident here and covered by the French system is to remember to renew the CEAM every year, as it is only valid for one year ... that is one European  anomaly I don't understand.[/quote]
Simply because we who pay into the French system have to ask for cover each year ... demonstrating our ability annually to be able to support ourselves so we can qualify to be covered by the French Health Service. Consequently, as our health cover only lasts a year at a time so the CEAM validity only lasts a year at a time.

Sue
[/quote]

My belief was that everyone has to ask every year to renew their CEAM in France, nothing to do with being un etranger.

[quote user="NormanH"]Except that as I am retired I have cover until 2024 by the CPAM before I have to 'renew'. Logically my CEAM should also last until then in that case [:)]

And when I worked I never had to ask for cover it was renewed automatically as long I continued to 'côtise'
[/quote]

NormanH, CEAM's are apart and are applied for on a yearly basis, if you need them. I suppose that if you don't then there is no point in applying for them.

Sorry to post this rather late in the thread but locked out by an update!

It will be interesting to see the reaction of doctors/hospitals in the UK to the UK EHIC held by us pensioners living in Europe - I have taken a copy of the reply I received from Newcastle asking about this and keep it with our cards.

Mrs H

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="NormanH"]unlike the EHIC which I believe is for three.[/quote]It's 5 years actually and as each EU state has different rules for health care what is not understandable about them applying different criteria to EHIC' issuance ?

[/quote]

By definition these cards are NOT for the state's own system, it is for cover in other states, so the differences between rules for domestic care are irrelevant.

It would be more logical if it was the same across Europe, as it is a European card not a national one

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="AnOther"][quote user="NormanH"]unlike the EHIC which I believe is for three.[/quote]It's 5 years actually and as each EU state has different rules for health care what is not understandable about them applying different criteria to EHIC' issuance ?

[/quote]
By definition these cards are NOT for the state's own system, it is for cover in other states, so the differences between rules for domestic care are irrelevant.
It would be more logical if it was the same across Europe, as it is a European card not a national one
[/quote]10/10 for getting logic and Europe into the same sentence.