Valuables whilst in hospital

CBC65

Hello Forum World!

I have to go into hospital for a days and the bumph I've been given suggests bringing no valuables.

Do I really have to worry about taking my iPod, phone and Kindle in with me - I think I'll need them to fill the time and distract from me from what's going on. Should I feel that I can safely leave any of my belongings in my room - realistically I'll only be away from them during pre-op tests and during the op.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but along with the stress of the op (first-timer in hospital anywhere) I'd like to have one less thing to worry about.

Thanking you in advance for any comments on your experience.

CBC65

I was told the same thing on my bumf for the last two hospital visits but I took my phone and Ipod any how , and they were fine . I put them inside my shoes when I changed into my bed wear and put clean socks stuffed inside the shoes ...Then put the shoes at the bottom of my bag

Trouble is you never know who is a thieve could be a porter a nurse or a doctor as it could be a shop keeper or a fruit picker .... So I think this is written to cover them selves and to stop you claiming if some thing is taken.

I would just check your house insurance covers your items  out side of the house

I took my netbook and such things as my main credit card and mobile phone, and about 100€ cash

In the Hospital I go to there is a safe in the wall with a code where you can leave  them during the op.

I think they are just covering themselves in case of an unfortunate loss.

In the nursing home after my op I had left out my netbook on a desk near the terrace window, and one of the nursing assistants moved it into the wardrobe on an occasion when I had to go back to Hospital for a couple of days unexpectedly, and she did say that it wasn't a good idea to leave things in full view over a long period...but the terrace gave onto a public park.

Good luck with your op and if you have any problems with French have a look at:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2605178/ShowPost.aspx

There are thieves everywhere. When I was in I took 5 euros a couple of books and a sudoku.  I suppose that I still retain something I learnt when I started work in a bank, and that was never ever put temptation in the way of anyone, colleagues included. And so I never do.

Hmm.  I take the view that I have this stuff for a reason.  My netbook, Android phone, Kindle etc are designed for portability to kick off with and hospital is bad enough without the boredom of having nothing to do.  Thus I reckon that if anything gets nicked then it's just tough - I'd rather have it with me.  Having said that, between hospital and rehab' I've spent about a third of the time over the last four years in places where there is little security and haven't lost so much as a sock.

I do leave credit cards and large sums of cash at home, though, but unlike Norman's situation, they are only a phone call to Mr C away.

My husband borrowed a portable DVD player when he was in the first time because the TV rental was really expensive per week and it was all game shows anyway. Nothing untoward happened but there are people wandering about in hospitals all the time very freely so you must decide. Jewellery and money are not necessary anyway.

The neat thing about all this modern technology is that you never acually lose the important stuff- the books, movies, music etc - you can back all that up at home.  Thanks to fellow forum members, this time I have a choice of 100 different movies and TV series with me, sittng on a little external hard drive that cost me about £30.  If somebody steals it, I can get all the movies etc back again.  If your Kindle gets nicked - all the books are still there at Amazon (in fact, I can access mine - including my daily newspaper and weekly magazine which get delivered to my bedside on the Kindle, via an Adroid ap' too.)

It's only stuff. 

Hope the op' goes well.

I did have my purse nicked when I was in Rennes CHU, when I went to physio someone came into my room and took it.

After reporting the theft, it was later found in the entrance, minus the money (15 euros) but cards and everything else was ok.

Good luck with the op & recovery

Thanks to everyone for their comments and reassurance, I'm sure everything'll be fine.  I don't recall there being safes in rooms from when the other half was in the same hospital, but I'll just see what's on offer when I go in.  Thank you again.