EHIC Good News

Gardian

Our EHIC's were both due for renewal in 6 weeks time, so I thought it might be a good idea to kick things off, expecting that it would take a month or so for them to come through.

I rang Newcastle on Tuesday afternoon, having failed to find the right page on the website.

My call was answered more or less immediately, the conversation was brief and efficient, purely to check that their records were correct.

The cards arrived in the post yesterday, 4 days after my request was made!! Now that's pretty damm quick.

BTW, the number to ring is 0044 191 279 0575.

You can also apply to renew your card by email. Details are here:

[url]https://nhsuk.epticahosting.com/selfnhsukokb/template.do?name=Renewal+Application+-+I+am+living+overseas+and+I+am+in+

receipt+of+UK+state+exportable+benefits+%28including+state+pension%29%2C+how+do+I+renew+my+EHIC%3F&id=23505[/url]

We received a reply requesting our dates of birth in addition to the information requested in the format.

We received our new cards 7 days after sending the emails. We sent one each, although one for both would have been OK.

Edited link to, hopefully, fit - not that anyone seems to have found it useful [:(]

[quote user="NormanH"]And good news for those of us with the CEAM (the French version) in that it is now valid for 2 years instead of the previous 1.

[/quote]

I hadn't noticed that Norman, and I've just renewed our cards. I looked and sure enough, they're valid until 2017.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the info, Gardian ... I rang the number today and it was so easy, just name and address and phone number, date of birth, and the cards will be with us in a fortnight. However, worth noting is that she said the cards we hold (valid for another 6 weeks) are now immediately invalid and cannot be presented for use; however she gave me a telephone number (00 44 91 218 1999) and said that, if between now and when our cards arrive we need to use the EHIC services then to get the hospital to ring that number and our eligibility will be confirmed.

But very helpful lady at Newcastle: I've been in France so long and used to French bureaucracy and delays and so this was a refreshing piece of civil service efficiency!

[quote user="nectarine"]Thanks for the info, Gardian ... I rang the number today and it was so easy, just name and address and phone number, date of birth, and the cards will be with us in a fortnight. However, worth noting is that she said the cards we hold (valid for another 6 weeks) are now immediately invalid and cannot be presented for use; however she gave me a telephone number (00 44 91 218 1999) I believe that should be 00 44 191 218 1999 and said that, if between now and when our cards arrive we need to use the EHIC services then to get the hospital to ring that number and our eligibility will be confirmed.

But very helpful lady at Newcastle: I've been in France so long and used to French bureaucracy and delays and so this was a refreshing piece of civil service efficiency![/quote]

gardian, the two years in France is 'new'. Until then they had only been for a year and our last ones took a year to get!!!! And so, I applied for the next ones as soon as we had got them, and to be told very snottily that it only took a few weeks.......... and as I pointed out the most recent had taken a year, we left it at that, and I re-applied nearer the time.

gardian said: 'UK' ones are five years though.

No, I only pointed out how it was, because lots of people who are now working in France, those that speak of their  businesses, which will mean that they will end up with a french pension, even if it is a small pension, means that they will then be under the french health system malgré their UK pension, and also need french CEAM's. If they continue to live in France.

That is all interesting. I have just had a letter from France saying that I've paid 4/140's of a pension, so not very much. If we move back to France permanently will that mean I have to go through CEAM ? Just wanting to know beforehand - just in case etc...

Margaret

IF you get a french pension and are a full time french resident, then I would say that you would no longer be eligible for an S1 (E121) from the UK and be treat like all other french pensioners and be directly in the french health system and subsequently need a CEAM.

You really need to check up on this. Newcastle may be able to help you too. In fact if you start receiving a french pension prior to getting a UK one and are a UK resident, then you may need a french S1 (E121), just as we do.

(edit, unless you are still working and paying NI contributions).

You need to check on this sort of stuff, checking in both countries.

I do know how it works with a more or less 'normal' french pension, not a small one.