Vaccine appointments

Lori

I can only wonder what is really happening in France. Husband only just 70 has now had his. The letter arrived within days of his birthday and had it today, so about three weeks past 70.

With some specific exceptions, everyone we know over 90 and 80 are done including second doses, and just about all 70 year olds have had their first jabs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan Zoff wrote Perhaps with all the idiots refusing there will be enough vaccine to bring forward the first and second jabs for the sane ones

No chance Alan we go ono the site every morning and it's always the same in 28 days there will be X amount of vaccine released.

Yes, UK has certainly been impressive with their vaccinations.

The thing that seems really odd to me is that nobody in the French government seems particularly worried.  Véran makes Hancock look a model of efficiency.

As for Macron, apart from making predictable noises, he hasn't actually been much in evidence.

And Castex, what can I say?  You were right from the very beginning calling him M Casse Tête.

I no longer worry about our vaccinations, no point and getting really stressed about it.  We have led very cautious lives right from the beginning.  Even in the summer when restrictions were briefly relaxed, we didn't go to restaurants or see anybody indoors and only 2 or 3 times outdoors and only 1 or 2 other people.  Shopping only when absolutely necessary and I have cooked everything for ourselves from scratch so as not to eat foods such as bread that might be contaminated.

I have to admit to you, id, that I sometimes find everything extremely depressing. 

I will have to wait, probably not that long, but, I will be glad when

I have had it.

I won't get stressed about my delay, as you said mint, no point in getting anxious about stuff I can't control. But, I know it will feel like there is some sort of light at the end of the tunnel for these peculiar times when I do.

Yes, we know it will be a long while before we are offered the vaccine.  We have come to terms with that, as best we can. 

We too don't go inside any building unless we really need to.  The last time I went in any establishment was Christmas day at 7h00 to pick up the holiday order.  All our food and other supplies are delivered.  I prepare all the food we eat, never any take-outs, etc.  We try to take as much care as possible when handling the deliveries.

Yet, when I look out the windows here, short of seeing a few folks wearing masks, you would think life is totally normal.  A steady flow of people visiting the twice weekly market - very crowded by 10h00 or 11h00 (I can see it from the window).  Many folks carrying fresh bouquets of flowers throughout the week.  The normal flow of caddies rolling down the street from the various primeurs and Auchan.  Lots of folks walking with Etam and other boutique bags in their hands.  The daily march of children walking with parents (and the school bus runs) to and from school.  People sitting in the parc having lunch or taking part in group 'events.' It all 'looks' normal.  Amazing that it is so far from the truth.

NH I have read quite a few articles which have been just about the same over the last number of months.

So couldn't they have simply got a translator and put this out, an age ago, incidentally, I know from personal experience that french researchers will not accept other studies and have to do them themselves, and if it takes an age, well, it will.

Also there are glaring omissions from this, ie long covid and the affect of this on children, because it can affect children and they have what are called neurological  symptoms.   Very worrying for the parents who didn't know that their child had had covid to start with and starts getting all sorts of odd symptoms including extreme fatique and quite serious nervous ticks.

So when will these french scientists bring out a paper on that I wonder....... when they have done their research, sometime in the future?  Because, unless french children are completely different to UK children? some will be being affected and MG's and Pediatricians need to know.

Agree with Idun.  I read the article Norman posted and laughed (a very cynical laugh).

At this point, if I was the author, I'd be ashamed to release that article, unless he/she'd been living in a cave these last few months.  Of course that is just me and I've been a bit angry these days.

Hang on ducky, the British Govt paid for the research at Oxford, costs to be recuperated by lower purchase costs so not blackmailed by the drug company. And if UK paid more for Pfizer it is because the quantity needed is much much lower than the EU, so the cost is higher.

As to only giving one dose to everyone and delaying the second, look at the numbers falling,compared to EU countries.

It is like using MASH units in wartime, best to get some treatment as close to the front line then sending the wounded to a real hospital. It saves lives.

So, Guardian, be ashamed.

I am in the group of between 65 and 70. I have booked both vaccinations, yes there delay is longer than initially spoken about, but I am going to get my first one next week.

I didn't have to call a number, but went on line and was given options, some further away than others, but I managed to get some fairly close to home.

No it isn't over yet NH, but frankly I want this and I want it, how does the expression go for petulant kids........NOW!!!!! and I just about have.

Everything is very well organised, or so I am told by those who have already had it, a conveyor belt passed from one person to another and then the jab. Some have to wait 15 minutes, depends on the jab. OH had a minor effect several hours later looked like he had had a mosquito bite, it's lasted a couple of days and is just about gone now.

I know of others with different side effects, no one seriously ill. And there will be the odd case, but frankly, I don't know anyone who doesn't want it. And we need the herd protected ASAP.

No idea what the Guardian is on about, really, lost the will to live once I started reading. 

Idun - congrats on getting your vaccine appointments.  Also good to know your OH's experience so far. 

My Mom had few side effects after the first shot.  Headache, body ache, but only for a short bit.  The second shot produced more side effects, but she was told it might.  She had upset tummy for a few days with overall poorly feeling.  It seemed to subside about 5 days after the second shot.

I guess it really can vary. 

We'll wait, impatiently, for our turn.

I had some reactions from my first vaccination 5 weeks ago, similar to what I normally have after my annual flu jab. My husband had no reaction to the Covid vaccination and rarely does following the flu one.

I understand that a reaction shows that the immune system is working well.

Apparently more of a reaction can be expected following the second vaccination; interesting article on this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/02/second-vaccine-side-effects/617892/

It seems (if you believe the Connexion) that the Astra Zeneca vaccine jabs will be available through pharmacies later this week for the 65s and under. Will you be having it?

Which leaves many of us stuffed (between 65 and 75) with neither vaccine being available for us. If I could pop to Dover or Folkestone I would try to get it done there but it aint possible, damn it.