Cheaper phone calls

For simplicity use www.telerabais.com from any french land line including call boxes:

Dial 0811 65 31 31 for calls to UK land lines at 1.8 cents/min off peak 3.3 cts peak, min 9 cts a call.

Dial 0826 10 30 30 for UK mobiles 15 cents/min min 11 cts a call. Tarrification by the minute.

For a sign up service www.telesoldes.com from your french home phone:

France local 0 cents minute. France National 0 cents minute, connection charge 6.38 cts.

French portable 7 cents/min, connection charge 11 cts.

Calls to UK land line 1 cent/min 9cts connection. UK mobile 15 cents/min. Tarrification by the second.

These deals make Onetel, Primus, Neuf, etc look expensive.

[quote]I use Tiscali Telecom and can ring 24/7 to most of the world at very reasonable prices. However, their accounting system is odd and I am very careful about making payments etc.[/quote]

TU, With calls to UK at 6.9 cents /min plus 11.9 cents for first 10 seconds Tiscali Telecom is the most expensive provider mentioned in this thread so far.

The idea is to spend less, not more!

If you have a computer, I have seen mention of a thingy called 'SKYPE'. It allows you to use the PC as a phone, and if talking to another PC user say in the UK (who also has SKYPE) it's free!

You can also use it to call landline & mobile at a cost of pennies. Don't know if you have to be on broadband though.

Regards,

Bob

[quote]If you have a computer, I have seen mention of a thingy called 'SKYPE'. It allows you to use the PC as a phone, and if talking to another PC user say in the UK (who also has SKYPE) it's free! You can...[/quote]

Hi

I use Skype, computer to computer, I am on a dial up connection and sometimes it's great very clear but it's not reliable enough to use instead of a telephone you can use Msn Messenger in the same way, again good at times, depends maybe on how busy the Internet traffic is.

Hmmm, but I didn't mention in the past I have used a couple of the other providers and had very iffy service, like weekends when most people wanted to call and so I couldn't because they hadn't got enough lines available and had problems with billing too. My phone bills aren't so bad really and they are cheaper than FT.

[quote]We use http://www.lesminutes.com/Default.asp?partner=comparatel You just have to dial 3111 before your number website has an english option and it only takes a couple of minutes to set up if yo...[/quote]

Sorry Boiling A Frog, and I regret being pedantic, but this thread is about the cheapest way of calling the UK. lesminutes 3111 service is 4.9 cents a minute plus 10 cents connection.

Can anyone find a low (i.e. lower than those stated) cost phone service which is cheaper or provide feedback on Telesoldes for example.

I have used Telerabais and the cost is shown on your FT bill online at Francetelecom espace client the next day, it is simple and effective.

For a number of reasons I have not yet signed up to Telesoldes (neuf telecom contract being one), but I am looking for feedback on them or a genuinely lower cost provider, although I believe it may be difficult to find one at a lower rate.

[quote]The name I was thinking of had something to do with frogs (sorry) kermit? Budget something. Sorry to be vague!.[/quote]

You are probably thinking about www.budget-telecom.fr.

5.4 cents a minute but no connection charge - good value if your calls are less than two minutes long. You would save 0.2 cents v Telesoldes, over 2 minutes Telesoldes and Telerabais appear to be cheaper. 

[quote]Sorry Boiling A Frog, and I regret being pedantic, but this thread is about the cheapest way of calling the UK. lesminutes 3111 service is 4.9 cents a minute plus 10 cents connection. Can anyone find...[/quote]

Les lauriers

I use lesminutes and never have a problem getting a connection and they are cheaper than France telecom. That is why I recomend them.  By your own admission you do not use Telesoldes so you are unable to comment on the efficiency of their service. oh and being pedantic the thread is about Cheaper telephone calls NOT the cheapest  

[quote]Sorry Boiling A Frog, and I regret being pedantic, but this thread is about the cheapest way of calling the UK. lesminutes 3111 service is 4.9 cents a minute plus 10 cents connection. Can anyone find...[/quote]

Good God! We're talking about cents here not bloody euros. The cheapest solution for you could be a long piece of string and two cans.

Oh Sorry. That's no good to you. You would have to buy the string and cans!

we are with callserve.....don`t know too much about them,but am assured by Mr O it is cheap at 3 cents per min to uk...don`t think there is a connection charge but will look at our acc later when I make my daily 30 min call to dad. I`m sure Mr O will read this thread with interest when he gets home ,theres not much gets past him if theres monsy in the tittle!

[quote]Is LesMinutes with cards? That is all I could find. I only ask, as we used cards for several years, but I really never found them that convenient, just cheap. I'll stick with what I've got if that i...[/quote]

"TU" they are offering 30mins free trail. They accept credit cards and is all very easy. Thought I'd give it a go to keep check on commitments in States.