Having downloaded lots of music through i-tunes, from the Web and from our CD collection, I've been trying to burn a selection of CD's for a party.  While most of the music then plays fine on a normal CD player, some tracks are coming out sounding jumpy and scratchy - but they play fine when just going direct from my i-tunes playlist onto the PC speakers. 

1.)  Is there a (simple)reason for this?  I am now reluctant to burn any more CDs if quality is going to be inadequate.

2.) If it's just a compatibility problem, I thought about buying new reasonable-quality speakers for the PC, and using that as the music source, in which case what power of speakers should I be looking at? (party will be open air but music is for background jazz etc rather than rock festival sound levels....)

All help appreciated

Chrissie (81)

You could:

play your music as mp3 files on computer, plugged into your HI Fi

or

buy speakers for your computer that use a seperate powered bass box

or

if you have itunes you may have an ipod, in which case plug thet into your hifi

You mave have a problem with your cd writing software, in which case uninstalling and reinstalling may help.

Thanks for that - I do have an Ipod, it's an Ipod mini, don't know if that makes a difference.

Er, where/how do I plug it into the Hifi?.......You may detect that I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but I'm doing my best!

Chrissie (81)

Hi, I have usually found the problem with rubbish sounding 'burnt' cd's is caused by burning at too high a speed, try burning at a slower speed. A very good alternative is to treat yourself to a cheap DVD player, most will play DVD's, i just bought one from LIDL cost 34.99 euros, i have made a DVD of MP3's amounting to over 1000 tracks and it plays fine on the DVD player, you can scroll through the tracks on the TV screen, it even tells me Artiste and track title....great. Good luck...keep on burning..another thought, a friend has a very expensive CD player and it does not like 'burnt' cd's at all...skips and jumps....

Dave Goodwin

I wouldn't bother with the CDs at all. Instead of buying blank CDs buy a lead to connect your iPod to your stereo, and then set up the music as playlists on the iPod. That also solves the problem of only being able to burn a certain number of CDs (8 I believe) with tracks bought from the iTunes Store. My son does this all the time (I still burn CDs for the car).

Alternately have a look at On Tour at the Apple Store, an amp with speakers which connects to the iPod. We bought one for a colleague when he left the office and he says it eprforms very well indeed. Goodbye to racks of CDs in the living room!

[quote]I wouldn't bother with the CDs at all. Instead of buying blank CDs buy a lead to connect your iPod to your stereo, and then set up the music as playlists on the iPod. That also solves the problem of o...[/quote]

So Dick....It's o.k. for you to rip a cd, explain how to play music for public consumcion and ignore the copyright but not others...or perhaps you have an account with the Performing Arts Society.

Boggy, I'm confused. Do I need to have read another thread somewhere to get the connection? In the posting here, Dick refers to buying tunes from Itunes and explains that the Itunes software limits the amount that you can burn. He also mentions that he burns CD's for use in his car. As far as I can see, the "inference" is that the Itunes burning capability is limited so that it is just for transferring the music you have bought to a convenient medium for playing back and so the PRS, the MPCS and the PPL, will not be concerned by this. He doesn't mention ripping and unless he runs a taxi it is not for public consumption.

John - attempting to bring the truth or common sense into any conversation with this troll is pointless...

BTW -I think iTunes allows the buyer to register five different computers (apart from iPods) to share bought tracks. Of course, over time, you may need to do this as you replace old machines/buy laptops etc.

[quote]Oh my old bog troll - I bought the music and I put it on my iPod and I played it in my own home. Or I made a single copy for my car - quite legit. All of which I explained.But out from under your ston...[/quote]

Sorry Dick...just come back from snorkling in Main Street, New Orleans...so water got into circuits and not up to par with your "rapier" teacher wit but I should have known that you wouldn't have the nerve to try anything illegal..but to revert to name calling, is even below your mental ability to see the funny side of life.

And now the threats! Just received this PM from Boghound, I thought others (inc Mods) might like to see it:

"Oh Dear Dick....Whilst I've been away from the exciting pastime of racking up replies like you do...You've learnt a new "internet word" ....Troll....I don't really think there was any need to revert to name calling but, alas, ****ers like you, should really get out more...or try to be a bit more open minded.

I hope you have a sticker in the rear window of your car from the other forum you frequent....I would really like to "run" across you in "real life"....and put you on the right path to "stardom".

Don't bother replying to this...or running to a moderator to report me...as I've better things to do with my life..then (sic) spending my time reading postings on forums..."

Does that mean we're free of him?

Thank you Chezshells and Dick

I think I will limit the CD burning speed in future, but my first option has to be to buy the magic cable to just play Ipod playlists through my Hifi.

Yes, on my PC in Itunes there is a Burn button and you can set the preferences for Audio CD burning from 1x to 24x and then "maximum" which is the default - I did the poor quality CD's at maximum and so won't be doing that again.

I have to say I really like being able to (legally) download most music I want for 99 cents a track, having always found that CDs and LPs (that dates me) have about 50% tracks you don't want to hear that often.  That said, it's amazing how many artists have very little available for download.  I guess it will come pretty quickly as time goes by.

As this thread has been "hijacked" a bit,I shan't be looking at it any more, but thanks to everyone who responded with helpful replies.  What a marvellous forum this is.

Chrissie (81)

Apple have a connection kit on their website which includes an iPod to Stereo cable, a car charger and one of thsoe cassette things that you put in the cassette player to, umm, play.

Have a look here:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/90601/wo/co2RNkzY7KVX23XysY51Q4RzHXo/3.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.5.19.0.1.0.1.1.1.1.0.1

Sorry about the hijacking - but I didn't start it!

Not sure what you mean by HiFi, Simon. I quote Apple's website:

you can choose to use different audio formats for any track that you import from CD. iTunes lets you convert your music to MP3s at high bit-rate for no additional charge . Using AAC or MP3, you can store more than 100 songs in the same amount of space as a single CD. If you’re quite the discerning audiophile who wants true CD audio, now iTunes can give you that quality with the new Apple Lossless encoder. You’ll get the full quality of uncompressed CD audio using about half the storage space. You can copy music in this format onto your iPod or iPod mini, to take perfect audio wherever you go.

Certainly the quality played through my stereo is indistinguishable from the original CD.

Not sure what you mean by HiFi, Simon. I quote Apple's website:

you can choose to use different audio formats for any track that you import from CD. iTunes lets you convert your music to MP3s at high bit-rate for no additional charge . Using AAC or MP3, you can store more than 100 songs in the same amount of space as a single CD. If you’re quite the discerning audiophile who wants true CD audio, now iTunes can give you that quality with the new Apple Lossless encoder. You’ll get the full quality of uncompressed CD audio using about half the storage space. You can copy music in this format onto your iPod or iPod mini, to take perfect audio wherever you go.

Certainly the quality played through my stereo is indistinguishable from the original CD.

Hi Dick

You are right of course, Apple lossless like FLAC is a considerable surge in quality from compressed media, however 100 tracks on a CD! You must be able to hear the difference with that? All MP3's are flawed due to the fact they drop bits (of the sound) to reduce the size of the file. The slim devices sb2 plays all the formats including apple lossless. I don't have anything to do with the company, but I do own 2 of their product, 1 each side of the channel.

Regards

Simon

My trouble is that I have CD quality equipment and wax cylinder quality ears...

The major point of the iPod, for me, is being able to hold so much music at a good quality with a usable interface. The only drawback is that the signal from the iPod to the stereo seems weak, so that I have to crank the volume up.

I've still got my ex-wife's Donna Summer collection on CD - and quite alot of Pogues, if anyone wants to burn them.

Legal around here, now, as it is past the 1st of September (around here at least, I'm not sure about Surrey).

Well, someone had to say it. I thought that it may as well be me. Then again, someone else could have; I haven't actually read the rest of the thread. I was just catching up on "the thoughts of Cheerman Dick".

Completely hatstand.

[quote]Nick - what are you drinking - I want some...What does 'completely hatstand' mean?[/quote]

Absolutely nothing. I had just got back from the Hospital having poked out my eye...

The furniture reference is a misquote from a well-known (in the sort of concentric circles that he revolves in) motoring journalist. Not terribly appropriate I know, but it always amuses me. Please appreciate that I was not implying that someone (anyone) who lives in Surrey and drives a Volvo could be compared to one (a hatstand, not a Journalist).

Honest.