3 months internet

I have rented a property for 3 months, can i get the internet for that shorter period, or is it like england only 12 months contract. Also i have an English computer, do i have to do anything that will make it "French friendly " before i come out. And, promise this is the last, i was told that the company Orange have brought out a laptop thing that you plug into the back of your lap top. that gives you wireless connection, is this a pay as you go, or is it only for business use, and is it expensive.

I think all contracts are min 12 months.  No need to change puter.  Most ISPs do wireless - Orange (formerly Wanadoo) do Livebox which is what you are  talking about.  Private use ok, 12 month min.  More expensive than others such as Free and Alice.

[quote user="egger"]I have rented a property for 3 months, can i get the internet for that shorter period, or is it like england only 12 months contract. Also i have an English computer, do i have to do anything that will make it "French friendly " before i come out. And, promise this is the last, i was told that the company Orange have brought out a laptop thing that you plug into the back of your lap top. that gives you wireless connection, is this a pay as you go, or is it only for business use, and is it expensive.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that you can get dial-up connection through France Telecom/Orange for less than a year, but ADSL requires a one-year contract (last time I checked it ran about 25 euros a month, not including the Livebox rental).

You could sign up with Neuf Telecom 24.9 Euros a month for 512 Broadband or 34 Euros for up to 8 mega.For an extra 3 euros a month you can rent a neufbox.

They have no minimum contract, but will charge 45 Euros when you cancel; the contract.

Could be useful if you must have Broadband.

PS You can save 5 Euros a month if you put your calls through their system.The 29.9 a month offer includes unlimited calls to landlines within France.

There is a contract with Orange/Wanadoo - "Le Compte Haut Debit" which costs 10 Euros per month + includes 1 hour of usage.  Thereafter, usage is charged at 1 Euro per hour.   There is no annual contract so that you can cancel when your 3 months is complete; I think you will need a France Telecom landline for this.

Please let the forum know how you get on.

Thanks

J

[quote user="egger"] ....Also i have an English computer, do i have to do anything that will make it "French friendly " before i come out....[/quote]

Do remember to change the e-mail settings to 'ignore all incoming' , that's the French way.

Good luck

John

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

PS You can save 5 Euros a month if you put your calls through their system.The 29.9 a month offer includes unlimited calls to landlines within France.[/quote]

And calls to many European countries land-lines (including UK).[:)]