I.E 7 problem

For some reason having installed IE7 it refuses to open lots of web pages, it gives a message 'IE has encountered a problem and is closing' etc etc. Any clues on how to fix this or, does anyone know the way to get your computer to 'think' you still have IE6, (this was in a post some months ago but having looked back over 20 pages still cannot find it). If all this fails is IE6 still around somewhere to change back to?[8-)]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From MS release notes for IE7:

"Accessing websites that only work with Internet Explorer 6-- Some websites host pages that are hard coded to read the User Agent string, and only accept the value for Internet Explorer 6. You can temporarily appear to the website that you are using Internet Explorer 6 by using the User Agent Utility. The tool will create an instance of Internet Explorer 7 that emulates Internet Explorer 6. Other instances of Internet Explorer 7 will not be affected."

I downloaded and used this for web pages that wouldn't open the first day.  Now everything opens normally.

Link to download page for User Agent String Utility 2.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9517db9c-3c0d-47fe-bd04-fad82a9aac9f&DisplayLang=en

Does anybody know, though, why this is a problem for some and not for others?  I moved to IE7 with no problems at all (and btw, isn't it free too? - I've never paid for it, it was on the XP package on the computer) - once I'd found where they'd moved the favourites button to!

[quote user="cooperlola"]Does anybody know, though, why this is a problem for some and not for others?  I moved to IE7 with no problems at all (and btw, isn't it free too? - I've never paid for it, it was on the XP package on the computer) - once I'd found where they'd moved the favourites button to![/quote]

It's Microsoft...

[quote user="Fluffy Kitten"][quote user="cooperlola"]Does anybody know, though, why this is a problem for some and not for others?  I moved to IE7 with no problems at all (and btw, isn't it free too? - I've never paid for it, it was on the XP package on the computer) - once I'd found where they'd moved the favourites button to![/quote]

It's Microsoft...
[/quote]And your point is?.....[:D]

Since installing IE7, my very reliable HP printer is refusing to print anything and just pushed out a blank page from any and every program.

I have looked for drivers (none required), removed, clean up the drive, re-installed it, no improvement...

I have gone round the problem in the short term by connecting my old (ME) PC to the (XP) laptop with a USB SuperLink cable so that I can explore the laptop drive from the PC and initiate a print job that way, but it's really frustrating not to be able to just press the print button any more...

I'd welcome any suggestions...

The printer is a HP psc 2110 All-In-One and it works perfectly well with the PC, as it used to with the laptop before IE7, and scans and copies without any problems...

HP PSC printers have "major issues" with IE7. HP were told about this last spring (by me, but they already knew about the problems). Since then they have successfully "sat on their hands", not even trying to resolve the issues. They, started blaming Microsoft, then started ignoring the problem because "IE7 was not released" (in fact they continued claiming IE7 was not released for several months after Windows Update had been busy updating everybody's Windows PCs. It would appear they have no intention of actually sorting out the problems so the only real solution seems to buy a new printer (from a reputable manufacturer !!).

that said, most people have problems with the scanning software rather than the printing side.

Ian

I've been very happy with Canon printers, particularly for printing photos (the ink does not seem to fade rapidly as did the photos when I had an HP printer).

I have had no trouble with my old Canon i860 (in US) since installing IE7.  Haven't returned to France yet so I don't know if  I'll have problems, either with Orange (my ISP) or my Canon iP2200.

I'm expecting a new Canon printer/scanner/fax this week so will have a chance to see how that works with IE7.

I am a great fan of Canon printers, in fact I am currently using a combined Printer/Fax/Copier and Scanner. One of the attractions for me of Canon printers is that many models have separate separate cartridges for each colour and black. To have a machine that uses one cartridge for all colours is an expensive wasteful method.

Baz