A town which will give us what we are looking for....??

kateob

Late next year we plan to move to France, selling our house in England and our small, isolated cottage in Brittany and moving further south towards the Loire.  Although we have done quite a bit of research around the Loire and in the Charente and Deux-Sevres areaa, it is quite hard to decide where we should go.  Not too far south of the Loire would be ideal, as I have had one bout of skin cancer and don't want to be where the summers are too hot.  I love culture, architecture, museums, galleries and theatre, so would prefer a modern-ish largish town with (although I will embrace French life as much as possible) a thriving English-speaking community.  The move is really driven by my husband - I am a little nervous but will give France my all if I can find a place I can feel at home in.  Any advice would be very welcome, thank you.

I would have suggested Nantes - memory tells me it came top of cities for lots of things. ... one of my french friends lives in a village just to the north of Nantes, good transport links,  lots of museums, culture (Jules Verne), good wine, pleasant scenery .... but woolly's suggestions would also work quite well.  Pleasantly warm to hot in high summer, cooler when it should be, and it does get frost even though close to the coast.  But not as cold as it can get down here in winter - it's west coast, after all.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Be careful of villages just north of Nantes. they are building a new airport and you dont wamt747's too close.[/quote]

Perhaps it might be truer to say that some people hope that a new airport might be built NW of Nantes at some point in the future. This project has been mooted since approx 1965 and building was due to start this year and finish in 2015, but today nothing has happened and it is still very much a project.

The latest figures suggest a possible start date of approx 2014 with an end date of 2017 but with the anticipated budget having increased to 581 billion, 'la crise' still very much in evidence and sit-ins still blocking bureaucratic progress it is not yet a definite 'yes'.

There is still a lot of local and not-so-local opposition so don't count on it being resolved in the near future.

Sue

[quote user="kateob"]Late next year we plan to move to France, selling our house in England and our small, isolated cottage in Brittany and moving further south towards the Loire.  Although we have done quite a bit of research around the Loire and in the Charente and Deux-Sevres areaa, it is quite hard to decide where we should go.  Not too far south of the Loire would be ideal, as I have had one bout of skin cancer and don't want to be where the summers are too hot.  I love culture, architecture, museums, galleries and theatre, so would prefer a modern-ish largish town with (although I will embrace French life as much as possible) a thriving English-speaking community.  The move is really driven by my husband - I am a little nervous but will give France my all if I can find a place I can feel at home in.  Any advice would be very welcome, thank you.

[/quote]

Hi Kate, after carefully reading your post  I would like you to consider the following;

Late next year when you  plan to move to France,

rent out your house in England and live full time in your Brittany cottage for up to a year during which you can visit/ research the Loire region often .

Your house in England may be the best investment you will ever have!

Most Brits are likely to lose money ( in real terms) when they buy then later sell , a house in France !

Kind regards,

Leo

I'd second Leo's advice, definitely. Living fulltime in France is very different to visiting for holidays and it may change your views of where you want to live, what kind of house, etc., the facilities you want.

You're very fortunate in being able to 'sample' fulltime living whilst still having an 'escape route' if necessary back to the UK so, particularly, as you are not totally committed to fulltime French life, I'd give it a year's trial and see where you go from there.

Good luck.

[quote user="kateob"]Late next year we plan to move to France, selling our house in England and our small, isolated cottage in Brittany and moving further south towards the Loire.  Although we have done quite a bit of research around the Loire and in the Charente and Deux-Sevres areaa, it is quite hard to decide where we should go.  Not too far south of the Loire would be ideal, as I have had one bout of skin cancer and don't want to be where the summers are too hot.  I love culture, architecture, museums, galleries and theatre, so would prefer a modern-ish largish town with (although I will embrace French life as much as possible) a thriving English-speaking community.  The move is really driven by my husband - I am a little nervous but will give France my all if I can find a place I can feel at home in.  Any advice would be very welcome, thank you.

[/quote]

The Charente-Maritime has a micro climate and  is supposed to be the second most sunny region in France second only to the south of France. It can be very hot in July and August.
Last winter it had a prolonged spell of very cold weather.

Agree with the others that Nantes and La Rochelle would have lots to offer also St Jean d'Angely.

Definitely rent and  "try before you buy" if you can.

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="woolybanana"]Be careful of villages just north of Nantes. they are building a new airport and you dont wamt747's too close.[/quote]
Perhaps it might be truer to say that some people hope that a new airport might be built NW of Nantes at some point in the future. This project has been mooted since approx 1965 and building was due to start this year and finish in 2015, but today nothing has happened and it is still very much a project.
The latest figures suggest a possible start date of approx 2014 with an end date of 2017 but with the anticipated budget having increased to 581 billion, 'la crise' still very much in evidence and sit-ins still blocking bureaucratic progress it is not yet a definite 'yes'.
There is still a lot of local and not-so-local opposition so don't count on it being resolved in the near future.

Sue
[/quote]

Last week protestors  went to Paris with some sheep and a tractor

http://www.airportwatch.org.uk/?p=420