Whats wrong with my puter ?

Although I can use my email and any web sites that are on my desk top (luckerly this one is) everytime I try to go onto the web from the front page of  MSN it is just freezing once I pull the front page up I cant get rid of it again either ( little red X box not working )

I have done a disc deframent thingy that hubby talked me through on the phone but made no difference 

The rest of my puter is running slow as well.

Please keep explanations simple Im not that savey with puters [:$] Many thanks  

So it only does it on MSN then, what happens if you change your home page to something else, like Google for example?  To do this from the page you are on now (assuming you're using IE7)

top right side of browser, open the tools menu

then open the internet options menu

it should open on the general tab, in the window just below this type http://www.google.co.uk

Now close IE down, and try to open your new home page.  If it works OK sounds like you've a problem with MSN.

[quote user="Cat"]

So it only does it on MSN then, what happens if you change your home page to something else, like Google for example?  To do this from the page you are on now (assuming you're using IE7)

top right side of browser, open the tools menu

then open the internet options menu

it should open on the general tab, in the window just below this type http://www.google.co.uk

Now close IE down, and try to open your new home page.  If it works OK sounds like you've a problem with MSN.

[/quote]

You little sweetie [kiss] I have just done as you say and it appears to be working .... what would I do with out you guys  huh !!!

So what might be wrong with MSN ?

Buggar ... spoke to soon ..... now the google page has stuck .... its wierd that I can still get on here because of the link attached to my front page ... this and a couple of other links I have on my front page are the only websitesI can still use [:-))] 

You know that you can add sites to your favourites in Internet Explorer, and then use then to open pages (even from the forum)?  If you type www.google.co.uk in the address bar at the very top of the screen you're looking at now, it will take you to Google.  You then just need to hit the little button at the top right of the browser that looks like a green plus sign on a yellow star, and then choose add to favourites.  You can add any number of your favourite sites this way

From then on, until you get it fixed, you won't even need to visit your home page, as you can get to all your favourite sites by hitting the big yellow star button.

Do you know if your computer has anti virus software installed?

[quote user="Pads"]No my google is on my web front page which freezers as soon as I go into my internet explorer. which is MSN  [/quote]

This sentence had me a bit muddled Pads but reading between the lines I'm guessing that your Home Page (Front Page?) when you

open Intenet Explore is MSN and you have a link to Google on it, is

that right ?

What worries me though is that you say the whole machine is running slow and there has to be a reason for that and once you find out why and fix it I'm pretty sure the other problems will disappear too.

To repeat Cats question then, have you got an AntiVirus programme running (please please say yes !) and if so which one and crucially, is it up to date ?

If you have and it is up to date then do a full scan and see what it turns up.

I think you need to do this before we can go too much further in solving your problem.

Cathy when I go into google from the top of this page it appears to to working , but only played on it for a couple of mins , its when I go in via my internet explorer button on my button bar it seems to freeze , I do have my list of faves that again seem to work ok from here

Gyn/paul .... yes i can see my desk top

I agree that setting your Home Page to about:blank is a good idea but I'm still concerned that your PC is running slowly overall.

You've obviously noticed it and it's difficult to quantify but is it 50% slow, more/less ?

Is it really slow for everything or just when trying to use the internet ?

Try a disc clean up.  start - programmes - accessories - system tools - disc cleanup

If your temporary internet files cache is full up then every time you access a new web page it has to go back and delete the oldest stuff to make room for the page(s) you are opening.  Once you empty it out you should get some speed back.  I'm no computer whizz though........

Fingers crossed then [:)]

If you're having a spring clean then THIS little proggy is worth a run. It's free and doesn't even need installing, just unzip and run autoruns.exe

The tab you'd be most interested in is Logon where you can identify things which are starting up every time you start the PC.

If you do try it and are unsure of what to untick post a screenshot and I'll try and help.

One programme I've mentioned here before that I've found to be quite effective when trying to sort out this sort of isue is Advanced Windows Care V2. It's a free download from the Iobit.com website. (I have no connection with this site) It will check spyware, security, registry, the system itself, the start up programmes and cleans out any junk files. I've installed it on quite a few computers over the last two years - several of them were heading for the bin because they had slowed down so much - and they've all been given a new lease of life after running the programme. I usually don't do the privacy sweep at the moment because it removes all your website log in details, but I keep that under review. It's worth giving it a try and if you do, you will be surprised how much it finds, especially on the first run. I'm using it on XP and Vista.

I should say, don't forget to update the programme after downloading it and remember to update before running. regularly.

Regards - Tim

[quote user="Russethouse"]I thought I may try this programme Timco, but I'm a bit concerned I'll miss deleting the privacy  sweep - is it clearly marked somewhere ?[/quote]

Yes, it is clearly marked - once loaded the programme will start up - first thing to do is click on the 'options' menu and go to 'update' - you can then download the latest info - once done you will see on the page the list of the things the programme will check out - there are 7 - the privacy sweep is the 6th - you can't miss it - honest [:)]

Tim