I have recently downloaded and installed AVG 8 Free, in view of the fact 7.5 will no longer be supported after 31 May. It seems to me that it has slowed things a little, especially Hotmail. Also it rather annoyingly duplicates what McAfee Site Advisor does, but doesn't do it as well. I've noticed some adverse comments on various forums and I wondered if anyone else has installed this and what their experience is. I'm running Vista incidentally. I'm thinking of using Avast and I would also be interested in people 's experience of this.

Patrick

[quote user="bixy"]I'm thinking of using Avast and I would also be interested in people 's experience of this.

Patrick
[/quote]

I have used AVG in the past and for the last 2 years (approx) have used the avast free version with zero problems. It updates daily (sometimes more than once a day) and runs OK in the background. I have XP and IE7and Zone Alarm free for a firewall. One advantage over AVG free is that Avast free version is available in french and other languages for those who would prefer it. AVG free was only available in English version  - haven't checked lately though, they may have changed.

Danny

Thanks for those responses. I missed the original thread - wasn't expecting it to be where it is! Mixed opinions about AVG 8 Free - such a pity because I thought AVG 7.5 was excellent. Anyway, no negative comments about Avast so I think I will be heading in that direction.

Patrick

Could some kind soul please post EXACT directions as to how get Avast Free.

I googled,  followed to the free download page and - guess what - they want $11.95.

Not the first time so called free stuff isn't free at all when I try to get it.

Not that I'm complaining,  no such thing as a free lunch etc

Thanks.

It's almost certainly because I'm stupid - but I can't find an option to download AVG 8 for free.  I presently use 7.5 Free and get the daily pop-up reminder/offer to upgrade to v8 but always get directed to buy the full version.  I have not been able to identify a link that offers me an equivalent v8 Free.  Any help most welcome.

[quote user="ty-gwenn"]It's almost certainly because I'm stupid - but I can't find an option to download AVG 8 for free.  I presently use 7.5 Free and get the daily pop-up reminder/offer to upgrade to v8 but always get directed to buy the full version.  I have not been able to identify a link that offers me an equivalent v8 Free.  Any help most welcome.[/quote]

I've just had the pop-up for AVG 8 for the first time and by following the links it took me straight to the new free edition - most odd.

I have to admit it's not quite so easy to find the free edition on their website though, but did a quick search and managed to go to it to download it on a friend's computer that I'm fixing for her.

Thanks for the link Clair - just came too late for me though.[blink]

Tim

[quote user="Clair"]AVG8 can be found easily by following the link in the second post of the thread...

Thanks should go to Bugbear [:)]
[/quote]

Thanks Clair - and also to Bugbear.

Tim

Hi Martin,

I have used the Avast antivrus for a couple of years and found it a good system.

To get Avast free:-

www.avast.com

Click..........avast Home/Pro Edition........on lefthand side

Click.........avast 4 Home Edition............on lefthand side

Now download FREE Avast

Should be OK............Regards Ray

[quote user="ty-gwenn"]It's almost certainly because I'm stupid - but I can't find an option to download AVG 8 for free.  I presently use 7.5 Free and get the daily pop-up reminder/offer to upgrade to v8 but always get directed to buy the full version.  I have not been able to identify a link that offers me an equivalent v8 Free.  Any help most welcome.[/quote]

A Google search for      avg 8 free download     found it instantly [;-)]

I too will have a look at the Clair. After spending about 2 hours at a friends place Tuesday looking for the AVG 8 free we finally found it, but this sounds really promising. I still have 7.5 on our desktop machine, but that may well change as we find AVG does slow things during a scan!

We had Mcafee full protection, not cheap either! The reason, I found, that it protected our PC was because it almost stopped it and any thug that was trying to invade it was going to give up and go somewhere else. It realy was that slow! Quite a novel idea I suppose?